Bottle with no Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttijerina

Reaction score
I am making a batch of hard lemonade using lemonade concentrate, sugar, and champagne yeast. I plan on bottling in beer bottles when I it is done fermenting.
At the local brewing store, I was told that priming sugar was not necessary and that it would still carbonate without. I can't seem to find any evidence online that this is true. Could anyone here verify this info for me? I don't want to ruin my batch by having it come out flat.
I'd appreciate any input on this.

There's nothing special about "priming sugar." It's typically just corn sugar. Occasionally, it might have something like heading powder in it or something, but that's really irrelevant. You can prime with any corn sugar, cane (white) sugar, or DME. For that matter, you can prime with anything that contains fermentable sugars, but these three are the most common.

I am making a batch of hard lemonade using lemonade concentrate, sugar, and champagne yeast. I plan on bottling in beer bottles when I it is done fermenting.
At the local brewing store, I was told that priming sugar was not necessary and that it would still carbonate without. I can't seem to find any evidence online that this is true. Could anyone here verify this info for me? I don't want to ruin my batch by having it come out flat.
I'd appreciate any input on this.

hard lemonade is a wine. the most critical steps in wine is to degas, stop the fermentation and stabilize so the bottles don't carbonate.
All you have to do is skip those steps and it will carb in the bottles. Priming sugar CAN be added if you want.

hard lemonade is a wine. the most critical steps in wine is to degas, stop the fermentation and stabilize so the bottles don't carbonate.
All you have to do is skip those steps and it will carb in the bottles. Priming sugar CAN be added if you want.

OP says he'll bottle when it's done fermenting. If it's truly done fermenting, it will not carbonate in the bottle without additional fermentables.

OP, the people at your homebrew shop might have been suggesting that you can bottle it slightly before it's done fermenting, and that the last little bit of fermentation will take place in the bottle, yielding your carbonation. That's an unreliable and dangerous way to carbonate something, so in my opinion (which I think is shared by the majority of people here), you should let it finish and then add priming sugar.

As JJL mentioned, just use white sugar. It's cheaper and will work the same way. The dosing is a little different than corn sugar, so use an online calculator to make sure you add the proper amount :mug:

Latest posts

Back