Bottle some keg the rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHeaven

Reaction score
Hey guys. So my new two tap kegerator is getting delivered on Monday. I've got a 5 gallon batch of Carmel cider going and I want to keg 3 gallons in my 3 gallon keg and bottle the rest. My problem is I want to bottle carb the rest and stove too pasteurize. How do I got about stabilizing 3 gallons to keg but not the other 2 gallons to bottle? Thanks in advanced!

Hey guys. So my new two tap kegerator is getting delivered on Monday. I've got a 5 gallon batch of Carmel cider going and I want to keg 3 gallons in my 3 gallon keg and bottle the rest. My problem is I want to bottle carb the rest and stove too pasteurize. How do I got about stabilizing 3 gallons to keg but not the other 2 gallons to bottle? Thanks in advanced!

You are sweetening the cider when kegging? If so, you have a couple of choices. One is to rack the cider into the keg with sorbate and campden, assuming the cider is completely clear (and avoiding any lees). Then, wait a few days and then sweeten to taste. Or, if you can keep the keg cold for the life of the keg, you can sweeten without stabilizing if you want.

Ah forgot to add that. Will be adding a cinnamon sugar mixture after fermentation. So I can tack 3 gallons onto campden and sorbate and then rack the other 2 gallons into the bottling bucket to be bottled?

Ah forgot to add that. Will be adding a cinnamon sugar mixture after fermentation. So I can tack 3 gallons onto campden and sorbate and then rack the other 2 gallons into the bottling bucket to be bottled?

Not exactly. You can only sweeten the cider after the sorbate/campden in the keg. Not before.

Back