Bottle sanitation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarshalFlint

Reaction score
Getting ready to bottle my first batch tomorrow, and was wondering about cleaning/sanitizing the bottles. The instructions that come with the kit mention running the bottles through a cycle in the dishwasher with no detergent and heat drying them. I had thought about doing this, but was wondering what other (more experienced) brewers felt?

Obviously, I can whip up a batch of Star San and dunk the bottles as well, but I like the set it and forget it of the dishwasher while I go about other tasks.

Cheers!

Getting ready to bottle my first batch tomorrow, and was wondering about cleaning/sanitizing the bottles. The instructions that come with the kit mention running the bottles through a cycle in the dishwasher with no detergent and heat drying them. I had thought about doing this, but was wondering what other (more experienced) brewers felt?

Obviously, I can whip up a batch of Star San and dunk the bottles as well, but I like the set it and forget it of the dishwasher while I go about other tasks.

Cheers!

I would skip the dishwasher as long as your bottles are clean from any debris. Although many dishwashers can get up to temperatures high enough to sanitize it's considered to generally be bad practice. I use Star San to sanitize bottles and rack into the wet & foamy bottles. This is generally considered to be the best practice because not only are you initially sanitizing your bottles but they will stay sanitized for an hour or so (as long as they are wet). When the beer makes contact with StarSan it dilutes and it becomes totally safe to consume - some of the components actually feed the yeast. I use a bottling tree that helps me contain enough bottles for a 5 gallon batch in a very small space - I would suggest getting one to help make things easier.

:mug:

I bottled some today for a competition as a matter of fact. I do it straight from the keg though. I, too, dunk in a bucket of star san solution, pour it back into the bucket, give a couple flicks of the wrist, and bottle. All beers have held up thus far.

if your bottles are free of debris, just soak them in star san for an hour or two and drain them and fill.

i know a lot of people use dishwashers but i don't like the idea of washing my bottles after tons of greasy dishes have been run through a dishwasher. who knows if you are getting a grease/detergent film on them. some dishwashers really kind of suck at washing. for fresh bottles i just rinse them really good after drinking them and put them upside down in the case until bottle day. pull them out, 30-60 min soak in starsan and bottle.

if they are really grungy or have labels, i soak them in pbw for a day or so and then rinse really good and store.

if your bottles are free of debris, just soak them in star san for an hour or two and drain them and fill.

i know a lot of people use dishwashers but i don't like the idea of washing my bottles after tons of greasy dishes have been run through a dishwasher. who knows if you are getting a grease/detergent film on them. some dishwashers really kind of suck at washing. for fresh bottles i just rinse them really good after drinking them and put them upside down in the case until bottle day. pull them out, 30-60 min soak in starsan and bottle.

if they are really grungy or have labels, i soak them in pbw for a day or so and then rinse really good and store.

Five Star Chemicals recommends a 1 minute soak to sanitize anything more isn't accomplishing anything.

I confess, I'm a dishwasher user for bottle sanitation. The bottles are triple rinsed immediately after emptied and stored upside down, so I know they are clean. My dishwasher anyways, does a good job sanitizing. Over 50 batches without an infection.
I like it because I can set it on delayed wash and come back home after work with the bottles finished and still warm, ready to go.

Here is my simple system from the moment I pour the beer until I refill the bottle.

Last edited by a moderator:
After using: Rinse three times, and store upside down in a box.

Before bottling: Dunk in Starsan, shake vigorously, pour, bottle.

I rinse out my bottles after use, then on bottling day rinse again with hot water, shake, dump out, then submerge into a bucket of star san, put about 6-8 in the bucket, dump star san from bottle into bucket, fill with beer and cap.
Some brewers say dishwasher method works fine, so maybe try it if you want to.
More than one way to skin a cat, you'll find a way of bottling that works for you.

Get a Vinator. It makes sanitizing a breeze. I do a few pumps, put the bottle on the bottom dishwasher rack. Do another etc until all the bottles have been sanitized. I then fill them all then cap them all.

image_515.jpg

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/vinator-bottle-rinser.html

I dunk the bottles in star san, give a shake, and dump them out, then I sit bottle caps on top and line them all up. Keeps them from drying out and anything from falling into the bottle. When it's time to fill I just throw all the caps back in the bowl of star san and I'm good to go.

Thoroughly rinse every bottle after pouring with hot water.
5 gallon bucket of StarSan, 10 bottles submerged neck up, remove from bucket, dump StarSan back in the bucket, submerge 10 more bottles, fill the first 10, repeat.
A 54 bottle tree is so handy...

I have a 45 bottle tree & avinator. Fill the avinator half way with Starsan & give a few pumps, onto the tree till full & bottle away. After drinking, I drain the dregs, rinse out then fill to the shoulder with water. Scrub inside with a bottle brush & rinse again. Onto the tree to drip-dry before storing in covered boxes.:mug:

Back