Bottle Priming a Belgian Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonwolgamuth

jonbeer
Reaction score
I've done some reading (and searching) on this topic and I'm anxious about screwing up my Tripel that is brewing right now when I go to bottle. I plan to do corked/caged heavy duty bottles like the ones that Duvel come in.

Recipe says to shoot for 2.5 - 3.4 CO2. I have read (and a long time ago, I've experienced it) that this is significantly too low for many traditional bottled Belgian beers such as Duvel, Orval, etc.

I'm thinking I want to shoot for more like 7.0-8.0 volumes of CO2. Is that reasonable? For my 5 gallon batch, it mentions adding ~8 oz. of sugar, but I DO NOT want to overcarbonate.

Any and all experience/suggestions are welcomed!

That is off the charts and I would guess potentially dangerous. 3 to 3.4 should give you plenty of bubbles. Make sure you have good bottles.

1599591871291.png

I'm thinking I want to shoot for more like 7.0-8.0 volumes of CO2. Is that reasonable?

The most carbonated comm'l beer I know of is Orval, at about 5 volumes. I've gone that high in heavy duty champagne bottles.

Found this is as well. So unless you are using champagne bottles, which are not even suitable for 8 volumes, you should stick to no more than 3.5.

1599592548321.png

Just to offer another perspective: All I brew is Trappist inspired ales. I never carbonate to greater than 2.7 volumes. I think the lower carbonation helps to "soften" some of the yeast derived flavors in the younger beer and makes for a better drinking experience.

In my opinion, one of the worst things you can do, especially if you are not sure you had a 100% clean fermentation, is carbonate to greater than 3 volumes. High carbonation tends to exacerbate some of the undesirable yeast derived flavors. In general, I stick pretty close to what the actual breweries do, with the exception of carbonation.

Absolutely. It's the reason I started the thread! I keep notching it down as the thread progresses!

I brew a Belgian Brut Methode Champenois beer.

I bottle condition the beer in Champagne bottles aiming for 6 volumes but you lose a little carbonation during disgorging. The beer is still very carbonated and requires a slow pour to not get nothing but foam.

CBF99144-2538-471A-A775-C8E17D2A633C.jpeg

For Belgian Tripel aim for 3 to 3.5 volumes and you will be good.
I use the Northern Brewer website for calculating how much sugar to add.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/pages/priming-sugar-calculator
The “current temperature” input of the calculator should be the maximum temperature of the beer during fermentation.

Back