Bottle opener

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am looking for a bottle opener(s) that do not bend the cap.

Suggestions/examples?

Hold the bottle almost vertical, at an 80 degree angle.
Place the cap against a table edge.
Make a fist and hit the top of the bottle (cap) with the bottom of your hand.

The pop tops off ... :mug:

and your host / SWMBO is royally pissed at you :goat:

An alternative is to open your mouth, insert the top of the bottle, slowly and firmly bite down on the sides of the cap with your molars, then a quick twist and voila ... the cap is off without bending.
I learned that one in the army.
(just kidding)

Last edited by a moderator:
21PnoVyIcoL.jpg

This is a jumbo "church key", usually only found in restaurant supply stores. The key to using this without bending the cap is to use the "wrong" end. Don't use the bottle-opener, you'll bend it near into a 45° angle. Use the can-punch end. The tip never touches the cap, and the hood pretty much keeps the top of the cap flat. I have actually re-used a cap once to keep a half a beer from going flat overnight and it worked well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those of us that collect beer bottle caps don't want'em bent. Some use'em for bar tops & stuff where the top sealer won't cure flat over them if they're bent. I like to go on our sister site, beer forum & trade'em for other beer swag. I've got a couple big bags of'em now.

They build a bar top, put edge molding around it, then arrange the caps on top the way they want. Then add the hardener to clear liquid plastic & pour it on. It's self-leveling & takes a while to cure.

I have heard good things about the Craftsman oottle opener. Only leaves a small dimple in the center of the cap
craftsman-cap-wrench-bottle-opener-xl.jpg

I use one of these and just give it a small pry, 1/4 turn and do it again. Repeat a third time if necessary. The benefit of this opener is you can use it(the opener that is) to reseal a bottle to preserve the carbonation.
open-uri20130816-17199-yg3nxj.

And the Yopeners. I havent used one (havent bought one yet, have waaay too many openers currently, still thinking about buying one though) I like their look
Photo_Apr_10_3_03_18_PM_1024x1024.jpg

The wall mounted opners seem to do a good, you can also place a quarter on top of the cap along with any opener

Can I ask why it matters if the cap is bent?

After 40 years of being a carpenter & not having my own shop - after discovering my love for home made beer - probably retiring in 2-5 years, I am planning for the rest of my life and part of that plan is finally having my own shop. I have some ideas for beer caps/beer related items and I'd like the caps to be used (easier and more fun to get) but have as little damage as possible. :rockin:

EDIT: I have used a framing square, a claw hammer and a couple of other tools to "POP" the cap off. This is definitely where no bending occurs.

A lot of the huge number of caps I have are bent. But I had an idea to get a dowel rod the right diameter to use a rubber mallet & a towel to straighten them out without damaging the art on them?

A lot of the huge number of caps I have are bent. But I had an idea to get a dowel rod the right diameter to use a rubber mallet & a towel to straighten them out without damaging the art on them?

Maybe the right sized dowel and a wing capper could straighten them out with out damage?

Or my bench capper, dowel rod & a towel to pad the printed side? I like trading the caps for other brewery swag. Started a collection of coasters I'm going to arrange in a poster frame.

Kinda late to the party here, but try using a spoon. It's the same idea as the lighter trick, just easier to get to work

+1 to this. Love my GrOpener.

Who doesnt love a good GrOpe?

I used to use the rim of an empty bottle, until I knocked the rim of the bottle off along with the cap.

In a bind I will use a piece of 8.5X11 paper folded up and used as a Bic. Then again I have since bought several cheap ones to stash everywhere so I dont have this problem anymore.

Latest posts

Back