Bottle mould

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrus

Reaction score
Yesterday I bottled another beer. When I was sanatising my bottles, pretty much every bottle I cleaned had some mould come out of it. Got the bottle brush out and when to town on them and made sure they were all clean.

Is there a good way to prevent bottles from going mouldy? Every time I finish a beer (commercial or HB) I rinse out the bottle, then stack out in the garage till im ready for them.

Cheers
Chrus

1. You need to rinse better. I usually give 3 - 4 rinses with hot water.
2. Leave the bottles neck down so any water drains out.

-a.

I rinse mine well and throw 'em in the dishwasher. It cleans the outside of the bottles very nicely, leaving no label residue, and it does rinse the inside slightly. Moreover, I think the heat from the drying cycle helps kill any lingering nasties.

ajf said:
2. Leave the bottles neck down so any water drains out.

-a.

Probably the number one cause is leaving your bottles face up. Followed by not riinsing with hot water. But one of bottle washers that attch with ahose to you tap. I have a splitter on the trap and use it for cleaning glasses, bittles, what have you.

This is why I really like swing-top caps. Once I finish a bottle, I rinse it out thoroughly and then either fill it with water and re-cap it until bottling day, or add an ounce of StarSan and cap it (good to go for next bottling day).

I'll second Yuri, I always run bottles through the dishwasher after I use them. I give them a good rinse before they go in to get the yeast out off the bottom and then through the cycle with the dishes.

I think its about time i got a bottle tree. Ive been meaning to get one for a while now... but I always seem to forget it when im at the LHBS...

buy a jet washer for the outdoor tap also!

hows your weather - it is freezing down here! Frost on the ground this morning

dibby33 said:
buy a jet washer for the outdoor tap also!

hows your weather - it is freezing down here! Frost on the ground this morning

Well, sunny and 88 degrees in the Northwoods. A good day for brewing!

I haven't had any problems with my bottles since I started rinsing them really well after drinking and then cleaning a batch at a time before putting them away until I need them for bottling. No mold at all!

I might also suggest letting them dry inside before moving them to the garage. I know here it is always drier inside than out since I run the AC, so heater for you guys this time of year. The drier it is the quicker they dry out.

Of course draining them upside down will help, I use a baby gate (for the dogs; cheaper than a bottle tree) across the tub. Since you are in Australia, would you actually need to turn them right side up for the water to drain out? (<--- my sad attempt at a joke)

Ditto on the rinse and drain.

I have several friends bringing me empties to use. Some have been sitting outoors unrinsed for months. I get some very interesting looking cultures out of the bottom of those bottles.

Blechh!

Back