Bottle filler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Snob

Reaction score
When you fill a bottle with a bottle filler... the ones with the spring load on the bottom and hard plastic... do you need to fill it up a little more. Seems that when I take the filler out I get like 1 1/2 to 2 inches of head space. Since it's supposed to be more around 1 inch I add a little more in the bottle. Seems to take away the usefullness of the bottle filler.

I have had this thought in the past, and if there is less then 12 oz at the end of the bottling session I start topping them off a bit. Most of the time I dont worry though. I figure commercial bottles are not even filled as much as the bottles that are not topped off.

- magno

I had the same problem with my "Bottling Buddy" Too much head space!. I solved the problem by drilling a small hole in the end of the tip and inserting a long thin stainless steel screw, thereby cutting down on the displacement if the implement, and allowing me to fill the bottles "fuller"
Alx

As I near the top, I slow down the flow and go right to the brim. When you remove the filler, you end up with about an inch of space because of the displacement.

Like has been said, I also slow the flow down when nearing the top of the bottle. Then I fill right to the brim. If it overflows a little while filling, I wipe the top off with a paper towel soaked in vodka. That's probably an unneeded step, but what the hey....

BTW: Belated Happy Birthday wishes, Beer Snob!

I like your new handle, too.... :)

I fill mine to the brim and usually overflow a bit (and then cuss loudly). I just cap everything and then hose the bottles down in the sink before storing them...works fine, I haven't had any problems with infections or ants.

Baron von BeeGee said:
I fill mine to the brim and usually overflow a bit (and then cuss loudly). I just cap everything and then hose the bottles down in the sink before storing them...works fine, I haven't had any problems with infections or ants.
Same here and sometimes there is a lot of foam so fill until all the foam is out.

Well like a few days back I was filing them to the top, but with mine it's almost like I'm gettig more like 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 inches of headspace. I'm assuming that is on the air of too much right? Which is why I was topping bottles off... this is not a new problem with me actually. This bottle filler is part of my original equipment from a few years back.

Nothing wrong with the extra half-inch (so long as your sanitized). You might yield one or two extra bottles that way. I let mine go to the top, then pull it out and figure it's about perfect.

The techinal term for that headspace is called Ullage. One inch of space is best, but hey we are homebrewers so what's a 1/2 an inch between friends.

I don't really like by bottle filler. It doesn't have a spring and it always drips drips drips. It came with a kit too. I turn the flow off comepletely bewteen bottles. Since I'm already jacking with the flow, it's not much more trouble just to slow it down as the bottle fills. This helps with having less headspace.

As soon as a bottle is filled, I crimp a cap on immediately. I don't mess around with topping off or letting them sit open with a loose cap on top. I want them sukers sealed asap... lol

Funny you mention that. We were having a semi-drunken discussion at my LHBS the other day about this very thing.

The shop owners suggested putting a bit more in each bottle - more than the filler itself dissapates. Just a little splash on the top, for longnecks. I try to use Guinness Extra Stout bottles which are short and stubby so there is no need to fill them any extra due to less filler displacement in the shorter bottle.
Too little room up there and it will take forever to carbonate, too much and it may not carbonate enough. But as glibbidy says, what's a half inch between friends?

Back