Bottle Directly from Grainfather?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyWarrior

Reaction score
My thinking:

- Bottling sugar in bottom of GF
- Siphon from carboy into GF
- Use pump to pump beer into bottles

Would that work?

Possible..BUT, I don't have a GF so what I say may not mean anything, however, using the pump to put your beer into bottles will probably aerate it, and at this stage of the game air(or more precisely oxygen) is your enemy for your beer..I am thinking you would either have bottle bombs or geysers when you uncapped them..If someone who has a GF and says 'yeah, that can be done' ,then go with what they say and never mind my mindless rambling on...

Im thinking two things:

1. Not worth the effort. The only thing you gain by using the GF over a bottling bucket is a pump. Gravity through a bottling bucket spigot would be easier to control, imo. Seems like an unnecessary complication. KISS

2. I'd worry about being able to adequately clean and sanitize the pump. When transferring to fermentor, it's pre-chill so not necessary. When bottling though I wouldn't want to risk it.

I'd have to agree with Gspot...my biggest concern would be the simplicity and cleanliness issues...not too concerned about introducing oxygen as I've frequently (and know commercial operators) that use mini jet and super jet plate filters to cold filter beers. I've never had any oxidation issues using one :)

Use a bottling bucket, they are cheap @ $11.00 and they are a lot easier to clean and better to use for bottling.

If you use the pump to bottle, you'll not only fill the bottles way to fast but you'll introduce O2 as seabrew8 mentioned which you don't want in bottle conditioning/carbonation.

I agree, it is not worth the effort. Use a bottling bucket and siphon. You aren't going to speed things up much and will spend more time cleaning everything before and after than the time you hope you saved.

I agree with everyone in that it would be more difficult to clean than a bottling bucket, but more to the point the sanitation and aeration would be the primary concern.

Plus you should be kegging your beer anyway ;)

Latest posts

Back