bottle day - need quick advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmadness

Reaction score
ok, so I had three consecutive gravity readings of 1.010. my bottling bucket is my primary fermentor (i really need to get another bucket). So I transferred to a carboy last night to get my bottling bucket cleaned out and prepped all my bottles so i would be good to go this morning. I got my priming sugar ready to go, bottles ready...bring the carboy up to rack to bottling bucket.....and i notice i'm getting bubbles out of the airlock about 1 every 45 seconds. Did i just disturb it enough carrying it upstairs? did i kick up more fermentation? I'm ready to bottle, and i going to create bombs!? I can't see the gravity dropping much more from 1.010. that was the expected FG. quick responses appreciated!

Sounds to me like you've just got CO2 coming out of solution - either because of the agitation of moving it, or because the beer has warmed up a bit (warm liquids can not hold as much dissolved gas as cold ones).

ok, so I had three consecutive gravity readings of 1.010. my bottling bucket is my primary fermentor (i really need to get another bucket). So I transferred to a carboy last night to get my bottling bucket cleaned out and prepped all my bottles so i would be good to go this morning. I got my priming sugar ready to go, bottles ready...bring the carboy up to rack to bottling bucket.....and i notice i'm getting bubbles out of the airlock about 1 every 45 seconds. Did i just disturb it enough carrying it upstairs? did i kick up more fermentation? I'm ready to bottle, and i going to create bombs!? I can't see the gravity dropping much more from 1.010. that was the expected FG. quick responses appreciated!

you are fine...bottle away....just some co2 escaping from being disturbed.

Bottle it. The air your seeing is more than likely just CO2 coming out of the beer. If your final gravity is good then go to town.

Because you disturbed the integrity of the co2 in the fermenter when you moved it.
That's really it....
Usually the simplest reason is the right one.

If you think of an airlock as it is intended to be thought of- as a valve to release excess co2, and NOT a magic fementation gauge, things like this won't mean anything to you...

It sat there not needing to bubble, forming it's co2 layer but not enough to NEED to go out the airlock, you're airlock is not a magic fermentation gauge, it's a vent, a valve to release EXCESS co2 to keep your beer off the ceiling, nothing more. It did need to release any excess co2, or it was getting out somewhere else, but more than likely it was just sitting in a stasis- it was sitting in a nice blanket on top of your beer.

THEN you moved it....so now it's doing what it's supposed to do.....VENTING gas....

When you start thinking in terms of the real purpose of an airlock, as a vent it's not too hard to fathom why bubble or they don't, why the start and stop for reasons other than fermentation.

The cat can brush against your fermenter and cause the airlock to stop or start bubbling, changes in temp or atmosphere can cause an airlock to start or stop bubbling, but that doesn't mean the beer is or is not fermenting (that's why a hydrometer is the only true way to know what's going on. You could also have kicked up the yeast which kisktarted fermentation, but how can you distinguish the why, just by looking at bubbling?)

You can nudge the fermenter and a bunch of co2 that was trapped in the trub at the bottom of the fermenter can decide to break the surface and change the amount in the headspace, as as can opening the lid like you did.

When you're dealing with a volume of gas in a set space (the head space) with a vent on top, sometimes it's going to release the gas....or it's not. It's going to do it because of fermentation, or because of agitation.....Gas expands, it contracts, it moves...it's fluid, and it has a way out if it needs it.

You said it yourself, you disturbed it.....All it takes is a little common sense to realize that that's gonna change the nice quiet situation the co2 layer was in in prior to you messing with it.

I mean I know that fermentation is a new thing to a lot of people and when starting something out we're so scared that we often forget to look at the obvious- when you move a volume of liquid, you're also moving whatever gas was around it, whether it's the air that's around us or in the case it's mostly co2 in the fermenter, and the conditions prior to doing it, in this case no bubbling is going to change. When you move your arm, do you not feel a little breeze? A little disturbance in the integrity of the air in the room? Why would it be any different inside the fermenter?

:mug:

My brother and I are halfway through sanitizing our bottles without a vinator, bottle tree, or no-rinse sanitizer, and we've already decided: never again. :mad:

We weren't able to get to our LHBS before bottling today, so we figured C-brite and the bottle boxes would have to do. Boy oh boy is it a pain.

Next time, no-rinse for sure. :ban:

You could have let it sit untill your LHBS opens tomorrow. I've been through one day without a vinator, will be doing another one soon. I'm getting my kegging stuff before more bottling stuff. Of my next few batches, only one is getting bottled, then 3 or 4 kegged. Brewing is live and learn hobby.

THere's no rule that says when you have to bottle a batch of beer. It won't go "bad" sitting in primary for a few more weeks or even months. I leave mine a minimum 4 weeks, sometimes 5- I bottled a beer that sat 5.5 months and it was awesome.

It wasn't so much we were worried about bottled "on time" as it was that we were anxious to do it. Our LHBS is a good 45 minutes away, and with our schedules, we won't be able to get there for a while.

Plus, this being our first batch, we were keen on spending as little money as possible for the first couple batches to see if it was something we would want to continue doing.

Of course, I've already decided I want to keep brewing. :rockin:

Sanitation is almost complete. Bottling should commence soon. :)

Latest posts

Back