Bottle Count\Batching Timing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fg12351

Reaction score
I just brewed my first ever batch on Sunday and am already dreaming of starting a second. I'm going to let the first ferment for 3 weeks in the primary then rack to bottles and let it sit for another 3 weeks, taking samples every week.

I'd like to start the second batch soon and know I would need to buy a second fermenter but I only own 36 22-ounce bottles. (I'm talking in 5 gallon batches here).

So how many bottles do you bottlers own? I'm not against getting more bottles I was just thinking I will have alot of beer in bottles pretty quick
and not alot of places to store them. Granted I'm going to be giving some away and drinking ALOT of it ;) but I think it would be cool to have a couple of batches going in different stages and always have plenty ready to drink.

Any advice? Please share your experiences.

I guess this may be more of a batch timing problem.

Obviously this won't be a problem if my first batch tastes like crap!

FYI, I'm only brewing extracts with specialty grains at this time as I am a newb.

Thanks,

FG12351

I personally would skip testing the bottles for the first two weeks. It will be green and undercarbed and you have wasted a couple. As far as bottles, I have around 150 or so that I try to rotate out. Even if you decide to keg, you will still use a lot of bottles. IMHO

Side note,

I get a case of rootbeer in the brown pet bottles for my son and his friends. They disguise the beer real well on the Golf Course.

I've got about 15 cases of 12-ouncers, a few cases of 22-ouncers, and ten corny kegs. Usually have a couple kegs and a few cases empty at any given time though.

I was keeping 120-150 12 oz bottles until recently when I started kegging and now I only keep enough for one batch around. This does save on space and it much less work( think 5 minutes to wash a keg versus 1 hour or more for all those bottles), but expect to come out of pocket for around $125-$150 to get started. I have seen a posting on here where people put everything inside of filing cabinets in 6 packs and it seemed work well and didn't use up much space.

I have around 8-9 cases of 12oz bottles, so I guess that's around 200+ of those, and also about 30-40 22oz bombers; those combined max out my available storage space for bottles. I happen to have built-in shelves in the pantry that are the perfect size for storing 12oz bottles in the cases, but not much space for the 22oz bottles, which is why I have been sort of slowly phasing those out of my brewing process.

Of course I am likely to be moving soon, so I might even switch to kegs in the near future depending on how the storage space works out.

i've gotten between 1.5-2.5 cases for each 5 gal batch i've bottled. It would be a good idea to get more than you need just in case. I also got into kegging. It just makes it so much easier

I'd suggest have as many bottles as you can store.

Just buy beer in bottles and drink that beer and save the bottles. Wash the labels off and then use them for homebrew. BUT don't use twist off bottles. The twist type bottles aren't strong enough for carbonation.

If your having trouble drinking your way to a large supply of empty bottles. Ask your friends to help. Also, bars will sometimes give away empties. I scored several cases of the grolsch flip tops from a bar owning friend.

I've got 48 22oz bottles (for now), and recycled a case of 12oz bottles (working on recycling a second case of 12oz at the moment). This way I bottle 24 22oz per batch, and the rest of the beer goes into 12oz, so I can crack the 12oz open to check the carbonation process along the way without having to sacrifice that much beer. Obviously, as I give beer away I'll be restocking the 22's

I've attempted to space out my "pipeline" so that I get a new batch ready at roughly two week intervals. 1 batch in primary, 1 the secondary, 1 conditioning, 1 drinking. Going to be adding another primary shortly though, so I can also do a few batches that need to sit longer without having to sacrifice keeping a constant supply flowing.

However, that being said, I've already got a mini fridge that's waiting to undergo a kegerator conversion in the next couple of months, so I can make the jump to kegging. At which point, I'll probably only bottle an occasional "special" brew and hand a few out to friends and family.

I have accumulated 24 22ozers and a bunch(I would say 70 usable) 12 oz bottles. However in my family even if I am brewing 5 gallons a week it usually disapears faster than I can max out my bottles. You will learn 5 gallons is not as much as it sounds afterall :p

Typically I have 4 to 5 cases of used bottles in reserve. Normally 44 bottles per 5g batch. It's all a timing thing and winter I have more bottles because I brew less in the -10 degree weather and 56 degree basement.

Once you get going the bottles will take care of them selves. Just buy 6 packs of beer that have labels that come off easy and buy OXY Clean for getting the labels off.

Plus - I have 1,475 bombers left!! long story! it helps though :)

I personally would skip testing the bottles for the first two weeks.

Have just started brewing myself, I know the statement above is next to impossible. I actually think it is good practice for a new brewer to taste their first few batches early and often. Gives you some appreciation for how your brews are condition/carbing in your particular home brewing environment.

It sounds like your limiting factor will be space, but all you really need is a deditacted part or all of one cool dark closet and your golden. You will be surprised how many cases you can stack up in a closet. Since you are still several weeks out from having your 1st brew bottled, my advice is to go buy some 6 or 12 packs of beer styles you might want to brew in the future. I think of it like homework. Just make sure they aren't twist offs so you can use them later for bottling.

Oh and always rinse the bottles right away after :mug:

I just use the bottles that I drink, 12 ounce. Bottles are lots of work but you can keep the beer for such a long time and I love them for that. They are also very portable and it just feels good to have lots of bottles of beer hanging around. I have had batches that have really evolved from sitting in the bottle for a long time and with the live yeast inside and oxygen caps, you really can keep them for a long time.

I gave up on removing labels after my second or third batch. I just rinse the empties really well (right after pouring) and then hang them on the bottle tree. On bottling day, I hit them with some StarSan from the vinator and fill them. Easy as pie.

I've got about 150 in the rotation right now, but I need three or four more cases in the coming months (better get drinkin' :mug:).

If I had anyplace for a kegerator, I'd be kegging though, no question. I don't mind the actual bottling (SWMBO and I have got it down to a science), but managing (and having enough) empties is a pain.

Wow, great answers thank you! Sounds like I need to stock up on a couple of cases.

tbeahrs, I like that idea about buying what I might like to brew for homework, I'm going to try that.

Thanks fellas!

I've got just over 8 cases of 12 ounce bottle and am always lusting after more! and I don't even brew that often..... as long as you've got space, save them bottles!

I asked around at stores and finally got a "source" off of craigslist who works at a bottle deposit place who has given me a ton of bottles. It might take a little work, but I don't think you ever should have to buy 12 ouncers.

I also recommend getting as many as you can store because I hadn't thought about things like gifts. I've given away a fair amount of beer which, sadly, meant the bottles went away too :)

I asked around at stores and finally got a "source" off of craigslist who works at a bottle deposit place who has given me a ton of bottles. It might take a little work, but I don't think you ever should have to buy 12 ouncers.

You say that as if buying delicious beer is a bad thing.

I have about 25+ (closer to 30) cases of 12oz bottles and 2 or 3 cases of 22oz bombers. I must admit to buying a couple cases of bottles from the LHBS when I first started brewing as I couldn't drink the good boughten stuff fast enough to keep up with the brewing.

Family/friends have helped save bottles for me, but now I just throw them away. Actually, I have 2 or 3 extra cases out in the garage I still need to figure out what to do with. Free for anyone close -- otherwise I'll probably end up throwing them out.

Back