bottle conditioning temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravity

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When I brew larger batches I often keg 5 gal and bottle the rest

Only curious if anyone bottle conditions beer at a certain temp and why?
For wheat beers I understand the need to condition at certain temps - fruity esters vs banana vs clove..etc...

What about for other beers?
I'm noticing that beers from the keg are tasting much better than those in the bottle - in a noticeable way. They're not off flavors per se - perhaps the ones from the bottle are less well well rounded - not sure how I would go about describing the difference; only noticeable

When I bottle I tend to leave them in the back room where its room temperature and let them chill till i want to drink one.
The force carbed ones are in my kegerator at serving temp.

One I try one of each - its super clear which is better; the keg

Any thoughts?

I could see why things might taste different between the keg and bottle but you have no choice with leaving bottles at room temp if your naturally carbonating. Have you always known which beer is which when comparing them? If you want to do the comparison with little bias, do the triple blind test where someone pours one of the beers into 2 cups (preferably, not clear cups) and fill 1 cup with the other and see if you can pick the different one.

Yeah, they need to be at room temp to carbonate. Once they're ready to drink, though, it's best to store cold. How long are you chilling the bottled beers before drinking them? If it's just long enough to get them cold, that's not best practice. I find two days or even longer to be better. And make sure you pour carefully to avoid getting yeast sediment in the glass. Not that it is harmful, but it does change the taste of the beer.

I would also look at your bottling process. How clean are the bottles before you sanitize them? A lot of people's bottles aren't as clean as they think, and probably need a PBW soak and a little bottle brush here and there.

I know a lot of people don't like bottling, but I've been bottling for almost a decade and have been very happy. If your practices are good (cleaning as above and minimizing oxygen exposure) you should make some very good bottled beers. I also think some styles, like saisons, are better bottle conditioned. I've had good kegged saisons, but the best I've ever had have all been bottle conditioned.

If it's just long enough to get them cold, that's not best practice. I find two days or even longer to be better. And make sure you pour carefully to avoid getting yeast sediment in the glass. Not that it is harmful, but it does change the taste of the beer.

I know a lot of people don't like bottling, but I've been bottling for almost a decade and have been very happy. If your practices are good (cleaning as above and minimizing oxygen exposure) you should make some very good bottled beers. I also think some styles, like saisons, are better bottle conditioned. I've had good kegged saisons, but the best I've ever had have all been bottle conditioned.

I normally chill them before i drink them - i can change that up a bit and try a day or two before drinking them

I'm not a fan of yeasty bottled conditioned beer, so i tend to leave the sediment behind and pour a clear glass

I'm meticulous with my cleaning - however - it never hurts to give everything a once over

Back