Bottle Conditioning Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfouty

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

I'm still a few weeks out from bottling my first batch of homebrew but I have a quick question about bottle conditioning.

I live in Houston and it's about 74-76℉ in my house and 90℉+ outside. I'm using a swamp cooler to keep my fermenter at ~60℉.

I'm curious to know what temperature to best store the bottles while they condition? And if it is cooler than 74-76℉ then how can I achieve that?

Thanks everyone!

Your house temperature will work for bottle conditioning. Keep the bottles out of direct sunlight though. Large swings in temperature may affect the yeast.

Yeah,your current house temp will work fine for bottle conditioning. It's different from primary ferment temps,being a closed system in the bottles. But going lower then that yeasts' lower temp range can cause the yeast to go dormant. The higher temps will just carbonate a bit faster.

+1 to above for carbonating. After a couple weeks move the beer to the fridge and prepare to enjoy. If you plan to hold the beer for a long time (several months or longer) you probably should seek out a cooler location to cellar it. Long-term storage is best at a stable 50-55F (+/-).

Back