bottle conditioning temperature same as fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer_30

Reaction score
I'm going to put together a system so I can keep my fermentation temperatures in check. Wondering if those same temps are good for bottle conditioning?

As in do I need to have a similar setup for my bottles or do they need warmer temperatures?

Bottle conditioning is usually done around 70F. Ale fermentation is usually 65-68. You could use the same location for fermenting and conditioning.

I set my bottles in my hallway closet, which is roughly 66 and never had an issue of them not carbing up in about 3 weeks.

Bottle conditioning is usually done around 70F. Ale fermentation is usually 65-68. You could use the same location for fermenting and conditioning.

I set my bottles in my hallway closet, which is roughly 66 and never had an issue of them not carbing up in about 3 weeks.

I ferment my ales around 60* in a freezer.

I bottle condition around 70* in a refer.

Everyone has their own system, but honestly, it doesn't seem to matter. They will certainly carb up faster at 70 than 65, but the end result seems to be the same.

Everyone has their own system, but honestly, it doesn't seem to matter. They will certainly carb up faster at 70 than 65, but the end result seems to be the same.

This is what I was hoping so I could use the same setup for both.

I heard a guy post on here once that you could still bottles in the oven at 150 or 200 or something like that to carb them up very fast. I'm 99% sure he was joking but never got a confirmation. I'm sure those temps would kill the yeast and/or produce off flavors. But who wouldn't want to sample a bottle or two of their beer carbonated and then chilled within hours of bottling?

Along that same line of thinking though, is there an upper limit to the temps you want to condition beer at?

I heard a guy post on here once that you could still bottles in the oven at 150 or 200 or something like that to carb them up very fast. I'm 99% sure he was joking but never got a confirmation. I'm sure those temps would kill the yeast and/or produce off flavors. But who wouldn't want to sample a bottle or two of their beer carbonated and then chilled within hours of bottling?

Along that same line of thinking though, is there an upper limit to the temps you want to condition beer at?

He wasnt kidding. Producing 'still' bottles means no carbonation. So, yes, the oven at that temp for about 20 minutes is to just kill the yeast. If you have something with a lot of sugar added at the back end, like real fruit/juices etc., you would want to bottle and let naturally carb up to the level you want, then go to oven/pot of hot water to pasteurize and kill yeast.

Hope this helps...

Don't know how/why I put the word "still" in that, but really didn't intend to. But I guess you answered the question anyways... you can't fast-carb your beer by putting them in the oven. Thanks!

In my experiences,you don't want to go below the yeast's minimum temp,but 70+ is fine. 3 to 4 weeks at 70 or better will carb & condition them in the minimal amount of time. Too low a temp,& they carb very slowly or not at all.

During primary fermentation,70F is a tad high. But during bottle conditioning,it's different. 70F during bottle carb/conditioning time assures decent carbonation & conditioning of flavors & aromas over 3-4 weeks time.

Back