Bottle Conditioning - Strip Hop Aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72hw

Reaction score
First, my apologies if this has been discussed prior to my asking, I did a cursory search and didn't turn much up but perhaps the way I was wording it aint quite right... here goes...

I've heard that bottle conditioning using fizz drops or similar can strip hop oil and flavor from a batch but have not been able to confirm. Is this accurate?

Here's my plan and why I am asking:
- 1 gallon batch of Dead Ringer dry hopped with .5 oz each Cascade and Centennial pellets for 48 hrs.
- Plan to "keg" the majority in a 2 liter bottle using a Carbonator Cap for rapid consumption
- Bottle remainder using the Fizz Drops

I know it's all about experimentation, but if I'm able to learn from others experience it puts me ahead of the game. This is only my 4th batch you see, and the first one I am experimenting with - so I'm hesitant to go too far, even though it's a small amount.

So again, my question is simply does fizz drop bottle conditioning strip hop character out of beer?

Coming from one new to the hobby, I hope this makes sense and is a valid question...

Chris

I assume these "fizz drops" are simply little weighted clumps of sugar you drop into the bottle? I fail to see how conditioning with those versus any other bottling method will have any effect on the amount of hop flavor you detect.

Here is the thing with hops. As the beer ages, so will the hop aroma. This is why IPA's are usually consumed while fairly fresh and never considered for extended aging. I allow my IPA's to bottle condition for anywhere between 2-6 weeks. I always dry hop my IPA's and while I do perceive a drop in the hop aroma over the course of 6 months after I start drinking a batch, I never really lose it all. Of course, I dry hop generously too. It changes, but it remains good.

If you really want to help the hop aroma shine out in your brews, treat your brew water with gypsum. It makes a big difference.

Carbonation drops won't strip away hop flavors or aromas. They just give the yeast something to feed on to carbonate in the bottles. Time strips hop character.

Many thanks! I totally understand how the hops will fade, etc over time - I've kept bottles of the first IPA I brewed for over a year, opening one now and then to see how it changed compared to the brown brewed at the same time. A very interesting experience to be sure, one that reinforced my want to drink IPAs young!

As for the carbonation, I wasn't sure how the drops could affect hops so I thought I'd ask. Gonna bottle it up and not worry!

Chris

Just saw I missed the comment about gypsum - going to have to look into that.

Thanks!

Fermentation in primary definitely steals away hop flavors, as can trub- a good reason to dry hop late in fermentation.

Bottle conditioning isn't very strong, and there's nowhere for the hop flavors to go, so I couldn't see how that could strip flavors. I guess if you overcarbonated it would push flavors out.

Latest posts

Back