Bottle Conditioning Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezemm

Reaction score
Up until now, I've had relatively clear beer. I had been doing the Coopers no boil beer kits. I moved on to a beginner kit with steeping grains, hop pellets, and some spices (Xmas beer with cinammon, nutmeg, and cloves)

I had this beer in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottled this past Friday. It's conditioning right around 65 degrees in the basement. I held it up to the light this past Sunday and it was still "cidery" looking but with sediment starting to form on the bottom. Should I expect this to ever fully clear or will it just be an opaque beer?

I know I have to wait at least 2 weeks and then stick it in the fridge to really make the call, but just wanted to know if anyone else had a similar "virgin" experience.

Also, tasted it green when bottling and it tastes just like a Goose Island Harvest Ale...not really sure if that's what I was going for, but I'm sure it'll go good with Turkey:mug::drunk:

It's really hard for anybody to read this and give you a definitive answer. You'll just have to wait and see....

And furthermore, even if it is hazy when you drink it, what are you gonna do about it? NOTHIN', that's what! (Except drink your beer and love it)

I assume you're using dry yeast right now. If so, and if you like clear beer, then I recommend the Safale S-04 (blue packet). It makes nicely malty beers that clear pretty well.

And furthermore, even if it is hazy when you drink it, what are you gonna do about it? NOTHIN', that's what! (Except drink your beer and love it)

Point taken and dead on...if it doesn't clear, oh well!

Thank you for the dry yeast suggestion. I'll give it a try. I will update in a few weeks when I try this during the Steelers vs. Saints game on Halloween night. I might dress up as a drunk if it tastes like I think it will :tank:

Back