Bottle Conditioning Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrobidoux

Reaction score
So I just bottled my first batch! My question is; is there any visual evidence of the carbonation process? I used some clear bottles as my beer is stored in utter darkness, so I was just wondering if there is something I should be looking for over the next week or two that will tell me all is going well. Thanks for the help!

So I just bottled my first batch! My question is; is there any visual evidence of the carbonation process? I used some clear bottles as my beer is stored in utter darkness, so I was just wondering if there is something I should be looking for over the next week or two that will tell me all is going well. Thanks for the help!

In my experience, there's not anything that will tell you much (outside of maybe some stuff that'll cling to the neck which could be a sign of infection). If the bottles don't explode, you're probably just fine. The best way to check is to just open a bottle and drink it.

Not really....because it is under pressure, you aren't going to really get any bubbles like you did in your primary. Just let them sit for 2-3 weeks, then start putting one in the fridge each week until they are tasty to your liking. Most beers are going to take about 2-3 weeks in the bottle to fully carb, but they are going to take about 4-5 weeks in the bottle (or more for higher gravity beers) to fully mature, so they might be drinkable at 2-3 weeks, but if you wait longer you'll have better beer. Good luck!

I've heard of people putting some of the beer in a plastic soda bottle and squeezing out the air. As the plastic bottle inflates, you can see that carbonation is taking place.

That sound like a good recipe for blowing up plastic soda bottles, but not so good for carbing. Nothing carbs and conditions beer as well as patience!

i have seen no visual signs. to check mine, i chill and open one at one week...then again at two weeks...i've only had one batch that wasn't carbonated after one week, but they all taste kinda green that early.

17 to 21 days seems to be my magic number so far for conditioning session sized beers. my extreme brews carbonated in a week but are taking MONTHS to condition.

Bottling in a plastic bottle that has previously contained a carbonated drink is fine, and a good way to judge carbing.

I brew ordinary bitter, and by preference I use 1 litre Mr. Beer bottles. It's quicker and easier to do, and I have no problem drinking 1 litre at a time.

I will also use soda bottles for a back-up plan and never had a problem with them.

Latest posts

Back