Bottle conditioning/lagering Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oujens

Reaction score
When lagering a Kolsch in a bottle, is 2 weeks enough to condition at room temp before lagering for 4 weeks? My thoughts are that the beer would still carb up at lower temps so I shouldn't wait the usual 3-4 to condition completely. Would like this beer to be ready in 6 weeks.

Lagering at cooler temps is typically done during secondary. Bottling is for carbonation. Keep bottles at room temp for 2-3 weeks to carb, then chill for 2-3 days and serve.

Right, I thought I would bottle first like I read others do to make sure I have enough yeast to carbonate the beer. Seemed like a better option vs. adding more yeast prior to bottling after its lagered for a month. If only I kegged my beer...

If you lager for 4 weeks you would still have plenty of yeast in suspension to carbonate your beer. Extra yeast would not be necessary.

I haven't done what you're talking about, but I've been researching it. I think you can do what you're talking about, that's how people lager in the bottle.

If you lager for 4 weeks you would still have plenty of yeast in suspension to carbonate your beer. Extra yeast would not be necessary.

I have never lagered before. Is this the case with any yeast that needs lagering? I'm using WLP029.

Thanks

I have never lagered before. Is this the case with any yeast that needs lagering? I'm using WLP029.

Thanks

I never would speak absolutes and all cases, but my own experience is for lagering periods no more than 6 weeks it is not necessary to add more yeast at bottling. Specific to WLP029, I have used it a few times and lagered 3-4 weeks, bottled without additional yeast, and had no carbonation issues.

Hi, am aboutto botlle my lager. It has been inprimary for 6 weeks . No airlock action any more. Should i add priming sugar before botlling? Or should i just bottle and hope the yaest is active enough to carb up?

Hi, am aboutto botlle my lager. It has been inprimary for 6 weeks . No airlock action any more. Should i add priming sugar before botlling? Or should i just bottle and hope the yaest is active enough to carb up?

Yes you would want to add priming sugar before bottling. Hopefully you have a bottling bucket or another plastic fermenter bucket. Boil the sugar in a cup or so of water for 4-5 minutes, add to bucket, then rack the beer on top of the sugar to mix. If you do any stirring be very gentle, you don't want to splash.

Back