Bottle Conditioning in Growlers: CO2 Bomb -> Relieve Pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I just read something about not bottle conditioning in growlers as they may be a potential CO2 pressure build up problem. I've never had a problem thus far, but I am afraid now. What can I do right now?

The current plan is to drink those bottles that have been around two weeks as soon as possible. For those that have been in a bottle for a week, can I crack it open and reseal it to relieve the pressure?

Well I would like to do this but have heard the same comments as you. I have looked into the heavier duty bottles. I still think I might give them a try. Maybe just a few. Also I was thinking about ways to reduce the bottom sediment. Some sort of simple filter.

Do you use a standard 64 oz growler? How do you handle the sediment?

thanks, Mike

I saw the same thread. I used to use screw cap growlers (ones from brewpubs). I've never had any problems with them leaking or exploding. I keg now, so I no longer use the growlers to carb in, but if I did I would have no problem to continue using the growlers.

That's my thought, take it as you will...

I recently bottled with a .5 gallon Altenmunster swing top bottle pictured below (the big one). It came out fine - very well carbonated after 1 month in this monster bottle.

I've heard that growlers will break when carbing up, but this bottle isn't a true growler as the glass is really thick and it's very heavy. It's like a massive Grolsch bottle.

9392.jpg

Latest posts

Back