Bottle Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPa Bob

Reaction score
A good friend just gave me 18 of the 16 oz ceramic capped bottles. How do I clean these puppies? Can I just remove the rubber seal or do I have to remove the whole cap? I was planning on a 24 hour soak in pbw then a rinse and another 24 hour soak in pbw and another rinse. Of course, sanitizing would then follow. Any other suggestions? He used to brew but doesn't anymore but I didn't ask if they had been used before. I'm assuming they have. Thanks!

I'm assuming your talking about the swingtop bottles. I soak mine in oxyclean then sanitize. I don't remove the rubbers but one word of caution I left the whole cap in either the oxyclean or starsan once and it corroded the metal frame for the cap. Cheers

I'm assuming your talking about the swingtop bottles. I soak mine in oxyclean then sanitize. I don't remove the rubbers but one word of caution I left the whole cap in either the oxyclean or starsan once and it corroded the metal frame for the cap. Cheers
Thank you. Yes, I'm talking about the swingtop bottles.

Your cleaning method sounds good. One word of advice, make sure you check the gaskets on the lids. They do dry out and become brittle which means flat beer.

Fortunately they are not expensive to replace, so might want to do that anyway and save any headaches.

Good luck.

I would suggest removing the rubber gaskets for thorough cleaning and sanitizing between uses. If they seem old, flattened out or dried/cracked they are really cheap to replace, ask for them at your LHBS.

Back