Bottle Carbonation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KreamCityKid

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of imperial IPA, that spent one week in primary, and 3 weeks in secondary. I have read many posted that ultimately suggest 70 degrees + for carbonation to occur in the bottles. I have tried bottles at one week, two weeks, and also at 17 days after bottling with no carbonation. I had put one beer in the fridge to get it cold to try and didn't get around to it, and sat in there for 3 days. I had a friend come over to sample my lastest batch with me and stuck one in the freezer for about an hour to get it cold to sample. The one that sat in the fridge for 3 days had great carbonation, the one that had sat for maybe an hour had the same results as the one week, two week, and 17 days with no carbonation. Should I move my whole batch to the fridge? What gives? Seams like the cold temp made my carbonation kick in.

The yeast need the warm temp to ferment the priming sugar and produce the CO2 that carbonates the beer. Problem is, at 70F CO2 does not dissolve well into the beer and will mostly fill the headspace. After you chill the beer, the CO2 will dissolve out of the head space and back into the beer better.

Back