Bottle carbonation: Cold then Room temp to let age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojacques

Reaction score
Regarding bottle conditioning, I’ve been wondering for a while:

After a few weeks (3) of bottle conditioning, I know that the bottle needs to stay in the fridge for at least 3-4 days for it be become carbonated.

I also know that some(most) beer style will get better with age. This is the main reason why I prefer to keep my bottles at ambient temp for longest time possible. I put 1 or 2 in the fridge at a time so I have one ready when I’m thirsty.

My question is the following:
If, after 3-4 weeks of bottle conditioning, I put all my bottles in the fridge for a week (to carbonate them) and then take them out again to allow them to continue conditioning… Will the bottles be carbonated? Would I be able to simply take one, toss it is the freezer for an hour and TAH-DAH: Great, Carbonated, Cold brew?

They carbonate during the bottle conditioning; no refrigeration necessary. I usually chill and open one after a week (and it usually sucks; the beer isn't really ready for another week or two)

There's probably a difference between cold-conditioning and room temperature conditioning, but you get carbonation either way.

Bottle carbonation is best done at room temperature (unless you want it to take nigh-on forever), and bottle lagering at cold temperatures for 3-4 weeks (for the beers that require it) comes after bottle carbonation is completed.

The other way to do it is to "bulk lager" for 3-4 weeks, then warm it up, bottle it, and let it carbonate for a few weeks.

Back