Bottle carbing--do I have to pasteurize?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhelderman

Reaction score
Quick question before I bottle today: I am planning to bottle carbonate my cider using priming sugar. Do I have to then pasteurize my cider once I've reached the appropriate level of carbonation in order to halt the process? If I don't do this will I end up with bombs?

Thanks.

Quick question before I bottle today: I am planning to bottle carbonate my cider using priming sugar. Do I have to then pasteurize my cider once I've reached the appropriate level of carbonation in order to halt the process? If I don't do this will I end up with bombs?

Thanks.

Not if the cider was done fermenting before you bottled (it was completely dry) and you didn't backsweeten it. Another way of saying that is that if you let the sugars in the cider all ferment out, until the yeast was done, and didn't add any more sugars than are required to bottle carbonate, then you aren't in danger of bottle bombs.

Does that make sense?

Not if the cider was done fermenting before you bottled (it was completely dry) and you didn't backsweeten it. Another way of saying that is that if you let the sugars in the cider all ferment out, until the yeast was done, and didn't add any more sugars than are required to bottle carbonate, then you aren't in danger of bottle bombs.

Does that make sense?

Absolutely. And this was my understanding. I will take another SG reading today before I bottle but it's fermented completely dry. I'll use a calculator to ensure I don't over-carb. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back