Bottle Carbing Calculations..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterpants

Reaction score
I have a kegging system with Beergun but just can't get the carb level I want in some styles (ex. Belgians) without having a foaming mess. I've posted about it before and tried everything outside of doing a counterpressure filler. I've accepted my defeat and am moving on. Those specific styles are going to be carbed/refermented in the bottle.

Recently brewed a 10% Belgian Golden Strong. Finished at 1.008 and currently sitting in a keg, cold (just enough pressure to keep the lid on and force out some fluid but gas is off). I've fined it with gelatin because I'm addicted to clear beer. I was planning to use heavy Belgian 750ml bottles and the beergun to dispense fluid with some CO2 protection but I was thinking of re-yeasting with EC1118 and adding priming sugar to each bottle individually . I have the ability to weigh out solids and fluids with good precision and accuracy (scientific balance and pipetmans)....BUT I just need someone to check my calculations.

750ml = 0.198 (or 0.2) gallons per bottle.

Plugging 0.2 gallons into a carbonation calculator at 4 volumes and the default 70F beer temperature yields 0.35 oz corn sugar per bottle.

0.35 oz = 9.9 grams corn sugar per bottle (units my scale is in)

Recommendations for how much dry yeast to pitch per bottle? Rehydrate them with GOFERM and add a set amount of slurry? Am I overthinking this step? I was thinking mixing up the priming sugar with water and using fluid units but that just seems more work than it's worth.

I'll be planning to leave the bottles at 70F for a few months, no rush or I would just have forced carbed. I wonder has anyone done the calculations on force carbing to lets say 2.5 volumes then bottle/prime to get to 3.5 or 4? Are their diminishing returns on your sugar additions or is it linear??

Thanks for the input....

FYI I did this exactly and within 3 weeks had a full carb. 3 months later bottles are still perfect. Nice dusty layer of yeast adhearing to bottom.... big Belgian carb about 4 vol. Brilliantly clear.

I added 1ml of rehydrated EC1118 with a disposable pipette.

The only downside to this method I observed was that dosing the bottles individually with corn sugar gave nucleation sites O'plenty for the residual dissolved CO2. It was foamier than expected for a 'uncarbed' beer.

I will definitely use this method again.

Back