Bottle carb question- warm them back up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naggs

Reaction score
I threw a 6 pack of my blonde ale in the fridge after 2 weeks and let them chill for a couple of days. I had a feeling it was probably going to be too soon, but I want to learn all the processes so I can better recogize them on my own.

Anyway, it was too soon (haha!) and while the beer had very promising flavor, it is definitely is not carbonated enough yet.

My question- should I take the remaining 5 beers out of the fridge and let them warm back up with their brothers or leave them as is?

Thanks!

I think the yeast is most likely dead by now so it wouldnt do anything.
But a flat beer is still a beer !

Anyone correct me if im wrong.

Fridge temps will only make the yeast dormant, not kill them. Warm the beers up and they'll carb up. They may take a bit longer to do so than the un chilled bottles, but theyll carb up.

The yeast are definitely not dead. They just hybernate at lower temps, they don't die!!

Anyway, if you have the ability, the best thing to do would be to bring the bottles up to about 60-65, give them all a SLIGHT swirl to resuspend the yeast, then let them sit for another 2 weeks before refridgerating back down to like 36-38 again.

If you have to, go ahead and bring them back out to room temp, swirl, and give them about another 2 weeks to carb, then put them back in the fridge for at least a week or two before you try them again.

For only 5 bottles, though, I'm not sure I wouldn't just drink em 1/2 carbed if it were me!

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Why would you think the cold would kill your yeast?!?!?!

Naggs, the yeast went DORMANT not asleep. When it warms up, they will wake up and finish the job. Just wait a few days til they have been at room temp for a couple days, then give them a shake or two to re-suspend the yeast.

And leave them alone for a couple more weeks. They should be fine.

Back