Bottle at 70 degrees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checked the FAQs and didn't see an answer to my question. I just brewed my first batch and bottled it 2 weeks ago. The beer is quite tasty, but I opened my first one yesterday and while there is some carbonation, it obviously needs to condition further and I'm doing my best to be patient. My question is regarding the temperature. I bottled at 70 degrees and then put it in the frig 24 hours later. I'm now reading that I should have left it out at room temperature for 3 weeks before putting it in the frig. If I take it out and let it go back to room temp, will that help with the carbonation or am I SOL on this one and will just have to wait a couple of months before I get some good carbonation?

BTW, I'm a noob here, but the advice here has been golden.....Can't wait to get started on my second batch. I'm only doing kits right now until I get the hang of it.

Just checked the FAQs and didn't see an answer to my question. I just brewed my first batch and bottled it 2 weeks ago. The beer is quite tasty, but I opened my first one yesterday and while there is some carbonation, it obviously needs to condition further and I'm doing my best to be patient. My question is regarding the temperature. I bottled at 70 degrees and then put it in the frig 24 hours later. I'm now reading that I should have left it out at room temperature for 3 weeks before putting it in the frig. If I take it out and let it go back to room temp, will that help with the carbonation or am I SOL on this one and will just have to wait a couple of months before I get some good carbonation?

BTW, I'm a noob here, but the advice here has been golden.....Can't wait to get started on my second batch. I'm only doing kits right now until I get the hang of it.
Bring them out of the fridge and let them warm up for a couple days. They should take off on their own but if they don't, just roll the bottles a little bit to re-suspend the yeast.

Congrats on the first batch and welcome to HBT! :mug:

Bring them out of the fridge and let them warm up for a couple days. They should take off on their own but if they don't, just roll the bottles a little bit to re-suspend the yeast.

Congrats on the first batch and welcome to HBT! :mug:

Very good. Thanks! I've been telling my friends that home brewing is very similar to the Chemistry Labs in high school/college. The only difference is that when you're done with your "experiment", you have beer! :ban:

This is a great site...can't wait to continue on with this new hobby! :mug:

Yeah, let them go for 3 weeks or so at room temp.

Always a good idea to let them cool in the fridge for 24 hours as well... makes the carbonation get infused in the beer better... from what i hear...

Take it out of the fridge and let it carbonate for 2-3 weeks, stick one in the fridge for a day and test it, then if carbonation is good you can put more in the fridge, store the other ones at room temp (cellar temps are great but not necessary)

Ok, I put the beer out and will wait for a couple of weeks minimum before I test again. Really appreciate the confirmation regarding my question.

Well, I couldn't wait the entire 2 weeks, so I put one of the bottles in the frig to cool for 24 hours on Tuesday and opened it up yesterday evening. Wow! It was fully carbonated and quite tasty. I think the flavor actually improved over the last couple of weeks. I'll put the rest in the frig tomorrow to let them cool for the weekend. Thanks again for the helpful advice!

Congrats...yeah, most beers improve substantially with age. Most of us never really discover this until or 3rd or 4th batch because it's just so frikkin' cool to drink your own beer! If you can control yourself try to keep some of your beer for a longer time - almost every one will tell you that the last beer is almost always the best one of every batch.

Oh, if you haven't done so, start your next batch right away!

Heh, I was out in the garage last night counting my extra bottles and growlers to see if I have enough left over to do another 5 gallon batch! It's getting too hot to leave the fermenter in the garage, so I'm currently shopping for a dorm frig or a wine refrigerator to keep the temps constant. I will definitely be doing a lager in the future and I don't want to be hampered by the heat here in Texas, so I think that would be the best way to go.

Years ago, I had a red beer that was brewed by Pony Express in KC called Arrowhead Red. I loved that beer, so I found a kit that should be very close. As soon as I get the frig and thermostat set up(next weekend at the latest), batch #2 will be underway. :D

Back