Bored curiosity...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fossey

Reaction score
Chucked this mini brew down today.., thoughts / issues / forecasts?

Bubbling away in under an hour.

2L Golden Circle Apple Juice
335g jar molasses
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 Cinnamon quill
1 tsp yeast nutrient

Molasses mixed with AJ, stirred through, no heat.

OG - 1090

5g Safale S-04 hydrated in AJ.

Pitched into 2L Old Rosie bottle

OG looks good. The ONLY thing I wonder about is 2L amount, with 5g of yeast. You may have to let this ferment for awhile, and then rack it into another jar and let it sit for a bit.

jflongo said:
OG looks good. The ONLY thing I wonder about is 2L amount, with 5g of yeast. You may have to let this ferment for awhile, and then rack it into another jar and let it sit for a bit.

2L amount was only because I had the scrumpy bottle handy, 5g was half the packet. I planned on racking, especially with S04. Didn't expect such a high OG but should have really, never used molasses before. Planning on a long secondary, chuck it in the cupboard and forget about it.

5g of yeast is usually used in a 5 gallon batch, unless I'm mistaken. That's why I mentioned it. If you had a 10g packet, that's probablyt for 10 gallons. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong.

My 5g packets say 1-5 gallons. Seeing as they are living creatures that multiply, I think there is a lot of leeway in amounts used. I have used 5g for 6.5 gallons and 5g in one gallon with no problems.

jflongo said:
5g of yeast is usually used in a 5 gallon batch, unless I'm mistaken. That's why I mentioned it. If you had a 10g packet, that's probablyt for 10 gallons. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong.

The S 04 says for 20 - 30 litres, 11.5 g packet. So a fair bit more than required!!!
I have used 5g of EC-1118 in a gallon brew before.

Any ideas on flavours and mouthfeel to be attributed to the molasses and how they may develop over time? The wort was obviously quite thick in the mouth.

Cheers for responses!

5 grams of wine yeast is sufficient for up to 6 gallons, so don't worry about that.

I really dislike molasses, except in tiny amounts in baked beans, and I really really dislike fermented molasses. Once the sugar is gone, it gets weirdly bitter.

But there are some people that like molasses, but a large amount isn't very good in cider.

Back