Lets have a little fun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blasterooni

PIpe line is now well established
Reaction score
Not that making cider isn't already fun in and of itself! Yesterday, I was digging thru the fridge and noticed that I had a few partial bottles a various apple juice brands and some pom and cran juice as well. I also have an open packet of ec-1118. So, I thought to myself, "why not combine the 3 and see what happens. I also had an almost empty jar of honey, and maple syrup. At this point, you probably know where I am going with this...and I have no idea what is going to happen, but I am willing to bet it won't be "bad". Here is what I did, or rather the recipe that came into existence using what I found; the result will be one gallon of "Grampa Chaz's Chicken Coop Workshop" (I'll explain the name later):

1/2 Gallon various apple juice combined
1 qt cranberry juice
1 qt pomegranate juice
~1 C brown sugar*
~1/8 C honey*
~1/4 C maple syrup
1 Camden tab
Pectic Enzyme
1/4 tsp Tannin
EC-1118 (pitching later today)

O.G. 1.080
pH 3.4

So, Grampa Charlie had a workshop in the basement where us kids would make all kinds of stuff from nunchucks, throwing stars, pipes, bongs, sleds, dog houses, modified mini-bikes, and all kinds of other stuff. Some things turned out great, while other things utter failures (we blew the motor on the mini-bike trying out a "super-fuel" in hopes to make it go faster (mixing rubbing alcohol, carburetor cleaner, lighter fluid and gasoline I think was our mixture, it was at least something like that).We would use whatever we found laying around down there to create our "toys". Later, when he retired, he moved the whole shop to the old chicken coop, adding more tools and materials with which to use to make even more stuff. This why this one is named as such; its I had stuff laying around that have come together to make something, in this case a cider of sorts.

Grandma Ida is the inspiration for making cider, though she made mead every year.

I used 1118 before, but I had no clue what I was doing. I knew nothing about fermentation temperature, pitch rate, re-hydration temp, nutrient timing, etc. I took some time to research this yeast strain and found some interesting information that I will share here. Now, I am certain that folks here on HBT have done different things with this yeast strain, and I am hoping that those experiences get added to the thread for further approaches to using this yeast strain. I will be following the protocols listed below as a jump off point in getting to know this strain:

1) Re-hydrate at stir in 10:1 must/water to yeast at 86-95 F, stir again 20 minute later then add to must
2) Fermentation Temperature range: 57 F to 65 F (though it has a greater range than this, the temps I posted are whats recommended ), but should not exceed 86 F
3) Adding a yeast nutrient with vitamin B1 promotes healthy yeast. Or, add 3mg B1 per gallon. You will likely have to break a tablet and measure out 3mg (0.03 grams) as B1 comes in 100mg+ tabs typically
4) Add the total amount of yeast to 10% of the must and ferment to 1/2 sugar break, then add that to the rest of the must. This is supposed to acclimate the yeast to must resulting in better fermentation speed and less die off apparently. (Probably won't do this step this round, but I may experiment with this notion at a later date)
5) 1118 suppresses other yeasts and bacteria from proliferation.
6) Tolerates up to 16% ABV

Fermentation has been roaring along, and had to change the airlock twice since the juice was boiling up into and out of the airlock. I have my fermentation chamber set to 60 F. Now the airlock is bubbling at a nice steady rate. Certainly smells good :)

Its been racked to secondary, cold crashed, and I added gelatin last light to clear it up. This morning, its already looking really nice, and I may just go ahead and bottle it after work today. I'll probably use FAJC to prime it, and CBC-1 for additional yeast. SG=1.009 as of last night

Sounds like a potentially delicious cider you've got going! You may want to wait a little longer before bottling. If you bottle at 1.009 you have a very good chance of ending up with bottle geysers, even without adding any FAJC. Bottling at 1.009 will produce nearly 4 volumes of CO2, and if you add FAJC it will be even more. Normal target for Cider is 2.5-3.0 volumes, which corresponds to a bottling gravity (including priming agent) of 1.005-1.006.

I did pour a glass while bottling and it is pretty damn good. A little to strong in the alcohol department though, a real belly warmer that went straight to my head! Whew! I'm going to be more frugal on additional sugars and keep the gravity no higher than 1.060 from here on out. When it's that tasty, its hard to have just one ;) I'll aim for session style I guess

That happened last time, bottle geysers that is. I plan to let them ride for about 3-4 days then test it. I keep one bottle aside to check the carbonation. I like ciders a little higher on the carb spectrum; in the mid-3's or so. Last time I bottled at around 1.004-5, and really didn't get much activity after 10 days (maybe my conditioning yeast is bad; I use CBC-1, and I have had the packet for about 1.5 to 2 months I think)

Yeah, with that much added sugar, honey and maple I'm surprised your SG was "only" 1.080. I calculate that much added sugar should actually put you closer to 1.100, which would mean 12% ABV with a FG of 009.
I typically don't add any extra sugars to my starting juices. This puts my SG typically in the 1.050-1.065 range and results in cider with alcohol ranging from 6-8%. Perfect for my tastes.

Yeah, with that much added sugar, honey and maple I'm surprised your SG was "only" 1.080. I calculate that much added sugar should actually put you closer to 1.100, which would mean 12% ABV with a FG of 009.
I typically don't add any extra sugars to my starting juices. This puts my SG typically in the 1.050-1.065 range and results in cider with alcohol ranging from 6-8%. Perfect for my tastes.

The "added" sugars were what was left in each container. I threw the stuff in to get rid of it as it were, thats why each amount was roughly (~), just eye balled, so the OG might have been higher, the stuff is quite strong :)

Back