Boosting ABV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsaavedra

Reaction score
I was just wondering if there is a way to boost the ABV of beers brewed using an extract kit?

You can add some corn sugar or honey for an easy boost. But be careful not to go too crazy - that will add alcohol but not body, so it's easy to mess up the balance. You can also add some DME, but you'll have the same issue if you add too much without adjusting the hops.

I was just wondering if there is a way to boost the ABV of beers brewed using an extract kit?

Yes, add ether more extract, sugar, honey, grain, ext.

or use less water in what you normally make.

doing anything will change the beer profile.

sugar is what a lot kits use for a alcohol boost.

Cheers :mug:

Hmmm... so how much corn sugar would I have to add to an extract brew to raise the ABV from about 4.8% to somewhere in the ballpark of 6 or 7%? Would this much of a boost make the beer taste bad?

You may not have enough hops/bitterness to balance the beer. Why not just focus on making decent beer rather than boosting ABV. It's not a race.

You may not have enough hops/bitterness to balance the beer. Why not just focus on making decent beer rather than boosting ABV. It's not a race.

Well I was looking at a pumpkin ale extract kit for next fall (I just started brewing) and it estimates about 4.8% alcohol but I would like it to be around 6%.

Why risk ruining the flavor of the beer just in the name of adding a few % alcohol? Why not make the batch as is and enjoy a great session beer? That way you have a good excuse to brew another batch of higher-gravity beer right away. :D If you want strong stuff, plenty to choose from...IPA, barley wine, imperial stout, Belgians,....

Try an online calculator like brew toad or brewers friend, put in the recipe and adjust the hop schedule. Or search around and find a recipe that better fits what you are looking for and buy the ingredients piecemeal. The concern with just adding fermentables is that your hop balance may be out of wack, and you'll end up with something too strong or to sweet. For a pumpkin beer I'd especially suggest sticking to a recipe. They can be hard to get right.

Well I was looking at a pumpkin ale extract kit for next fall (I just started brewing) and it estimates about 4.8% alcohol but I would like it to be around 6%.

If you want a 6% beer you really should buy a kit that is a 6% kit.

taking that recipe from 4.8 to 7% is way to much.

just adding sugar is going to make the beer thinner, less flavorful, and less hop flavor too.

is that really what you want to drink?

Order the right kit to start, then you will be drinking great beer with high alcohol.

if you insist on adding sugar I would suggest no more than 1 pound, and on a recipe I do with 1 pound of sugar I use light brown sugar.

Remember it will make your beer thinner.

I added one pound of Belgian dark sugar to a wheat beer mix and regretted it. too much alcohol, it crushed the natural flavor. its now more like liquor. its all in the bottles now, conditioning. I almost dumped it prior to bottle but forum people talked me into bottling it. time will tell. follow the instructions

I added one pound of Belgian dark sugar to a wheat beer mix and regretted it. too much alcohol, it crushed the natural flavor. its now more like liquor. its all in the bottles now, conditioning. I almost dumped it prior to bottle but forum people talked me into bottling it. time will tell. follow the instructions

+1

Listen to cjb, learn from others mistakes when you can, it will save you money and time.

Hahaha okay okay I get it, not a good idea to boost ABV :eek:

Sooooo any pumpkin ale recipes in the 6% range?

Too true. Upon bringing one batch to work for the Christmas party many seemed disappointed it was only 4.5%. A lovely stout with a slight malt start and barely noticeable hop finish. Everyone started asking how strong I could make something. I tell them "I could make some 15% nonsense, then eisbock it, then force carbonate but it would be like drinking turpentine." They usually seem less interested at that point. These are also people who say that anything over 8% is guaranteed gross because they've had a few yellow beers at that % and were no good. Seems they're just not fans of balance.
Hahaha okay okay I get it, not a good idea to boost ABV :eek:

Sooooo any pumpkin ale recipes in the 6% range?
I'm going to quick math this. Kit makes 4.8, you're looking for 6. 6 / 4.8 = 1.25. Use a can and a quarter of the pumpkin concentrate. Alternatively assuming it's a 5 gal kit, 5 / 1.25 = 4. Use 4 gal of water instead. This will give you the higher ABV you're after and should keep colours, mouthfeel, hops all in check.

Back