Boiling times on stovetop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty67

Reaction score
So it's been a while since i brewed anything and i want to get started again but there is one thing that i need to adress that always bothered me.

I've just got basic equipment for beginners and the thing that always drove me insane was that although a recipie should have only gone for say 55 minutes (sorry, doing mostly extract with some specialty grains) after i would throw in hops i would need extra time to get it back up to a boil. so the recipie would be in the hot wort (not necessarily boiling that whole time) for closer to 65 to 70 minutes.

Question is should i worry about that extra time or not? Is the important part the boiling time? I'm thinking although it may stop boiling briefly it is still close to that temp and is going to have an effect regarless.

Thanks.

Well, you will extract a bit of extra bitterness if your wort is hot with hops in it for longer.

Why is throwing in hops dropping your boil so much? Are you sure the actual temperature is changing? If you aren't watching it with a thermometer you aren't getting the whole story. :)

If you dump them in all at once, it will drop the boil for a bit. When I add hops I sprinkle a bit at a time (for a 1oz add, maybe 1/3oz at a time). I'll make the add, stir for 30 seconds, add a bit more, stir for 30 seconds, add the remainder, stir and then set the stove timer for how long to boil. Few minutes isn't going to ruin anything. Even 10 minutes isn't anything to worry about. I personally start the time when all the hops have been added to the kettle.

thanks to you both.
Justibone, I am running into just that where the bitterness seems more than it should and the florals more subduded than i though they should be. I thought it was from an extended time but wasn't sure.

and Freakshow, i wasn't sure if i should just start the time right when they were added or not but it sounds like i wouldn't be the only one so we'll give it a try, and will also try adding just a bit at a time over a minute instead of dumping all at once to see if that makes a difference. Thanks folks.

and yeah, i know, i need a hang on thermometer. will get one before the next boil. Thanks.

Sometimes extra bitterness actually comes from not having enough sugars present. It can be an efficiency problem just as readily as it can be a boil-time problem. :)

Back