Boiling Stirbars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twgardner2

Reaction score
I recently purchased a stirplate for starters. I'm wondering if I can boil my stirbar. I'd like to have the flask on the stirplate with the stirbar going while I mix inn my DME, to facilitate mixing. If I do this, I won't be able to (easily) get the stirbar out for the boil.

Do y'all boil your stirbar?

I just started using a striplate. I boil first, then pour everything into a pitcher that has a strainer. This way I can pitch my starter and not the stirbar. Have only done one starter so far and I'm still experimenting. I wouldn't boil it, only because in might be a PITA to get another if the teflon coating melts.
I've been to Naples (3 months or so, way back when) "ya'll" doesn't sound very Italian...:D

Do y'all boil your stirbar?

Stir bars can be boiled. Just don't drop it into the flask after the boil has already started as it could create a hot wort volcano if you do. It's safer to add the stir bar to the flask before the boil begins.

I boil my stirbar in the flask on the stove right from the beginning. Never had one melt on me.

Word of caution...don't drop it into the flask but slide it down the side while leaning the flask to one side.

Stirbars can more than be boiled. They are designed to stand up to autoclave temps. Most scientific stir plates are also hot plates so you can get to correct temps for reactions and keep the solution moving etc.

I am pretty sure the way they are used in labs for culturing is to load the flask including the solution and stir bar, autoclave, add life form, stir gently and enjoy

Thanks everyone for the replies. You're all saying what I suspected and was hoping to hear!

Back