Boiling down (reducing) wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disney7

Reaction score
I'm brewing a strong scotch ale this weekend and I want to boil a gallon of the first runnings down to about a pint and then return that to the boil. Hoping for some nice caramelized flavor.

However, I don't want to burn or scorch it. Not looking for any burnt flavors :cross:

I have a 6 quart pot and induction heating plate I'm going to use.

Should I get it to a boil quickly and then dial it down? Should I slowly creep up on a boil? I assume I should stir it frequently.

Just looking for any tips from someone who's done this before. I also need to make sure its done before the boil is over.

Thanks

By chance do you have a double boiler? If so that would work (never measured, but pretty sure mine will do a gallon.. just, but should fit.)

I've never reduced wort, but have many other high content prone to scorching or sugary liquids .... slow and steady has always been the key to success.

It takes awhile. I think I boiled 1.5 gallons down to 1.5-2 pints and it was a 35-45 minute process.

I don't think it matters how quickly you get it to a boil. But you definitely want to keep stirring it while boiling. And you want a pretty rigorous boil in the beginning or it will take all day. I slowed it down as I went along.

No burnt flavors in my Scotch Ale, though I will warn you it takes quite awhile for the brew to come into it's own. I brewed a 1.073 OG Scotch Ale on 10/20/12, and I was very happy with it about a month ago. The last time I had tried it was back in June and it was still so-so at that point.

Marquez, I don't have a double boiler big enough. I might have to pick one up if this turns out to be a pain.

Solbes, when you boil it down that far, how thick is it? Still pretty runny or is it like fudge?

I hope its ok after a month or two.... unless its terrible it probably won't last much longer than that. I'm going for something like Moylan's Kiltlifter.

Latest posts

Back