Boiling Cooper's extract to remove hot break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd2

Reaction score
Hey all, I was reading a page that was linked on here somewhere (can't find it now) about simple things to help make better beer from the no boil extract kits. One was to boil them for 15-20 min to get a hot break. But it dod not really explain why, basically it said you boil a extract/AG batch to get the hot break so you should also with no boil extract.
What would boiling the extract do in terms of making better beer, is it a taste/clearity/something else improvement?
And yes I will boil it after it has been mixed in with water.
Just rememebr the other thing that was a bonus from boiling the kits was you could trhown in some flavour/aroma hops at the end as it said mostly the hop extract added to the kits is only for bittering.

Thanks revvy that is exactly the artical I was reading!
In it under the boil section it refers to extract being made by after the mash it is condensed by low temperature evaporation and so it kind of leads you to believe that no break has happened with the extract?
Is the article misleading or am I missing something?

Another thing the came up in the article was the fact that the coopers type extracts have basically no flavour/aroma hops as it is just a hop extract that is added to get the bittering. If i was to throw in some hops into the fermenter while using the can instructions (can + sugar + water -> stire the crap out of it -> add yeast /no boiling) would this give a bit more aroma to the beer?
I know I "should" start from scratch with extract and boiling and all but it is a matter of time and money, one day I'll get there.

Back