Boiling AG wort in two pots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mofiddlin

Reaction score
Saturday will be my first all grain batch. My largest s.s. pot is a 20qt and I also have a 16qt.

Is there a problem with splitting the wort into the two pots so I can boil (on a stove) it separately and then blend it back together in the carboy once it's cooled?

I figured I'd measure and split the hops based on the respective volumes in the pots.

Saturday will be my first all grain batch. My largest s.s. pot is a 20qt and I also have a 16qt.

Is there a problem with splitting the wort into the two pots so I can boil (on a stove) it separately and then blend it back together in the carboy once it's cooled?

I figured I'd measure and split the hops based on the respective volumes in the pots.

I can't see any reason why this would cuase a problem. Any diffrences that would appear through the process will be lost when the two worts are blended back together. I say go for it!

I did this for a while and experienced higher boiloff rates. I had two stockpots going on my then-apartment's gas stove and saw around 16%.

You will probably want to make the pots about equal in runnings. That is, about the same amount of first runnings and about the same with the subsequent runnings in each pot. It has to do with the amount of break material and hops utilization. Otherwise, it'll be no problem at all.

What I'm saying (not well, I guess) is that you don't want to put the first runnings in one pot and the second in the other. You want them to be about equal in the amount of first and second runnings, so that the wort composition is about the same. So, run off the runnings and divide them equally if you can. You can divide the hops according.

Latest posts

Back