Boiled Wort, but yeast is bad!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhot55

Reaction score
Just made batch of weizenbock, mashed, sparged, boiled and hopped. Cooled down wort to 70*....CRAP! washed Wyeast 3068 i had did NOT smell good, i mean maybe a bit sour, bad enough where i think it's bad. After deliberating, i immediately threw the post-boiled wort in the fridge (35*) and ordered new yeast (unfortunately it is friday so i will not get it until Wednesday, maybe Thursday). As a protection, i plan on adding some club soda. I was a bit under 5 gallons so was gonna top off anyway. I figured with the club soda (sodium free, and everything else free) i introduce CO2 to protect the wort from possible oxidation, at least as much as possible.

Think I'll be OK? I realize sanitation is a big issue and there's always a possibility of contamination. BUT do i have a good shot for a possible 5-6 day delay to pitching the yeast?? I got the wort cooled down from boiling to 70* in 25 minutes and immediately in the fridge. I have other yeast, but the style is specifically derived from the yeast. Help?!?!

wow. I wish you luck...

I wouldn't worry about oxidation; infection will be your enemy at this point. The soda is a bad idea, in my opinion....

Maybe create a small starter using a quart of your wort and adding the dregs/lees of a couple bottles of a weihenstephaner hefeweissbier. Use a couple bottles to speed up the process. It should be the same yeast that you had and given 2 days should be healthy enough to pitch as long as you have a relatively normal OG (less than 1.060) Might be better than waiting so many days. You'd hate to have contamination issues.

damn! never thought about culturing yeast from the bottle! thanks! BTW- my OG is 1.072... think i'll make small starters out of the entire 6-pack. I may have to take off tomorrow.

Meh. Just keep it cold and reboil for 5 minutes and then recool and pitch on Weds.

One of my best batches ever I boiled, covered, and let sit at room temp on the stove overnight once. Reboiled and cooled before pitching and it turned out fine.

Latest posts

Back