Boiled grain bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacks13

Reaction score
I put my grains (Crystal Malt) in the water at about 170 degrees and unfortunately the water hit a boil before i removed them. but they weren;t in the boil for more than a minute or two tops. i seem to recall not removing them before a boil before with no consequences, but some people say it's not good.

anyone have any thoughts on this? the beer likely to be ruined , marginal difference or nothing to get worried about?

Wait, you put the grains in at 170 and the temp kept rising? In the future, bring the water to 160 and hold it there during your steep. You do not want to let the temp get above 170 at any point.

You might have a bit more tannin extraction that is ideal, but your beer shouldn't be ruined.

I usually put mine in at about 150 while I'm heating the water. I pull them out before I hit 170, which usually works out to 10-15 minutes of steeping with my particular gas range.

TheJadedDog said:
Wait, you put the grains in at 170 and the temp kept rising? In the future, bring the water to 160 and hold it there during your steep. You do not want to let the temp get above 170 at any point.

You might have a bit more tannin extraction that is ideal, but your beer shouldn't be ruined.

Yeah I screwed it up. But I'd apparently screwed it up before too with not much of an issue, so hopefully it turns out okay.

you'll likely have a tannin/astringent flavor in the beer. depending on the style, it may not be very noticable, or it could dominate.

Think of it like tea. The Brits don't boil the tea, just steep the tea leaves. Get the water warm, steep the bag until 150- 170 no more. I let it go until I feel it's ready to come out, usually about 25 minutes, then sparge the bag with a bit of hot water to get the last bit of beery goodness out. Don't squeeze the bag, it throws some tannins in the mix which could make the beer bitter. Drain, and feed it to the squirrels. Then do your boil, etc...
P.S. while waiting for the boil to start, pump up the bb gun for the squirrels. I really hate those things.:cross: :mug:

You are likely to be fine. It is not good practice to expose grains to temps over 170, however, I think that it gets made more of a big deal than it really is. With a small portion of specialty grains, I cant imagine that tannin extraction would even be enough to taste, much less ruin a beer. I have done decoction mashes in which I brough 5+ pounds of grain to a complete boil for over 15 minutes and there was no astringency. I dont think you have anything to worry about.

Back