Boil Vs No Boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckyboy

Reaction score
Should there be any boil for a LME? I thought that there was no boil needed because it is prehopped and ready to go, but Ive read differently...sort of but anyone have a straight answer?

Cheers

Cory

Most LME are not pre-hopped, so that you can add fresh hops. But if you start doing that, you'll want to do minimash for some fresh malt flavours. But then if you do that you'll want to go all grain, etc, etc . . . .

I have pre hopped cans, but Ive just been doing about a 10 min boil and i was curious if that was sufficient?

Don't even bother boiling pre hopped kits. Make sure you dry hop your brew after it's reached the FG.

There are no-boil kits, but I don't know if I'd use them. Partial mash really isn't that hard and you can get some amazing results from it.

I'm just too old fashion and set in my ways to try these new fangled pre-hopped kits.
Actually, I have used some, I have been known to cheat and use a coopers can to make a quick and easy braggots when I don't feel up to doing an AG session and want to fill a void in my pipeline. (Has not happened for a long time, really!)

Pre-hopped kits do not need to be boiled.

Some of them also have hop particles, instead of just tetra, and these can be boiled to increase the bitterness, but don't need to be.

And despite what people say about specialty grains, mashing, etc, it's still homebrew.

Back