Boil over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveh11

Reaction score
Boil over and lost over 1/2 batch. Thought I would just adjust accordingly for amount of water to add to get to normal yeast pitching temp, but OG was over 1.1 and supposed to be about 1.064! Wondering if I need to still add more water & if so how to determine how much is needed?

Something in your numbers is not right.

Gravity is a measure of density, so if you lost 1/2 your wort to boilover, that wouldn't change the gravity of the leftover wort at all, you'd just have less of it. Then, adding additional water to the wort would make the gravity GO DOWN from the expected 1.064 OG, not UP to 1.1. You've measured something incorrectly.

You certainly don't need more water. If anything, you should need less, and your TRUE OG should be somewhere below 1.064 at this point.

I’m with the OP on this, except it’s not from boil over, it’s from boil off. A boil over is mostly foam, not that much liquid. Once the hotbreak is done, it won’t boil over any more, it just evaporates.

I would advise to mix it back down to your expected gravity. Otherwise it’s going to be a half batch of high gravity wort. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but it’s not what you set out to make. Big beers can cause problems like stuck fermentations and hard to carbonate.

Wayne,

I'd agree with you if we were talking a few seconds of boilover here, but the OP is stating he lost HALF his volume to boilover. An event that takes 1/2 of your wort volume IS NOT evaporating water, it's pretty much all wort. I've had short boilovers before, and it might be foam, but it's sweet wort foam. You know when you clean it up.

The OP might be describing what happened incorrectly, but you don't lose 1/2 your volume to boil off, and your OG doesn't go up after a boilover, like all that dumped on the deck was water. Doesn't happen.

Your OG DEFINITELY doesn't go up from 1.064 to 1.1 after a boilover OR boil off AFTER you replace the lost boilover volume with water. The numbers don't make sense given the scenerio.

The gravity doesn’t go up when you add water. Really? Thanks for pointing that out.

It does go up when you boil off water. That was kind of my point.

I’m guessing the OP wasn’t around when this happened or he would have stopped it. So he really doesn’t know what happened. There were losses in volume due to a combination of boilover and boiloff, as evidenced by the gravity increase. It didn’t double, but it went up 50%.

It’s possible he totally screwed up the gravity reading, but I’m skeptical. How do you screw up a gravity reading ?

I think we all need a lot more information like full boil, partial boil blah blah blah..... If the OP boiled off 1/2 his volume it must have been one hell of a raging boil and he fell asleep. If it was due to boil over then the pot must have been filled to the rim as a full boil and again was sleeping. Assuming one or the other I will question the gravity readings as well:)

OP-if you haven't already taken matters into your own hands, fill in the blanks and we'll try to help out. In the end you will have made beer but what it winds up being is anybody's guess right now.

All,

Thanks for your inputs. The brew turned out fine and tastes just like other batches I've made. Only problem is I don't have as much as I would like!

Do you have a really small pot that you are boiling too much in? Such as attempting to do a 5 gallon batch in a 5.5 - 6 gallon pot?

Nope, was a 3 gal batch in 6 gal pot. All came out fine (except I was short on brew!) and tastes as good as it should. Guess I shouldn't have worried and just had a homebrew!

Back