Boil-off volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carrollyn

Reaction score
I've made 4 or 5 brews so far, from 3 to 5 gallon size. All have turned out more or less like they were supposed to. Because we moved, and I now have an electric range top, for my last batch I used an outdoor propane burner. I didn't realize how much more liquid I was boiling off than before until the end, and then had to add water. (Supposed to be a 3 1/2 batch). My question is, when is the ideal time to add the extra water: at the very beginning of the boil, as I work at knowing how much will boil off? Add boiling water midway as I realize it is going down too much? At the end, like if I were doing a partial boil?
When I did a couple of kits, I noticed a prominent caramel taste, and was told that was a side effect of the partial boil. Since IPA is my preference, I don't want to always have that. I'm doing all grain now. When I get a bigger pot, it may be easier, but for now, my 6 gallon is having to do.

If you're doing 5 gallon batches in a 6 gallon pot, then you can't possibly do a full boil. Your kettle just isn't big enough. I have an 8 gallon and I wish I'd gotten a 10 gallon.

If you have to add water, do it at the end. I've used straight tap water with good results but I've since read that you're supposed to boil the water first.

The five gallon batches were from the kit, which used extract and a partial boil. For my all grain, I'm doing 3 to 3.5 gallon batches. A pale ale that was excellent and a porter that was even better. A honey ale still conditioning, and a red in the fermenter.

If you can do a full boil that would be better, so calculating and adding all the water you need at the beginning should be the goal. With a 6 gallon kettle I think 3.5gallon batch sizes would work for a full boil.

I started off with an 8 gallon kettle and added a 15 gallon recently. I wish I'd initially gone with a 10 gallon though to make it easier to keep cooking 5 gallon batches on my range. The 15 gallon is simply too big and needs a turkey burner, but I can do 5 gallon batches easily in the 8 gallon, I'm just really close to the top and would benefit from another couple gallons of room.

I guess it doesn't matter, but if you were to get another pot I'd think a 10 in addition to your 6 would be perfect if upgrading to 5 gallon batches were your longterm goal.

I just did my first AG yesterday, it was 3.5 gal batch and I have a 5 gal BK. The boil off rate for me is .12, so I started with 4.1 gal and boiled for 65 minutes and ended up with approx. 3.625 gal going into the primary. For my stout recipe from Hopville-1.048 OG-mine measured 1.047. Boiling was done on the kitchen stove (gas).

Joe

Yes, that was how it was working for me on my gas kitchen range. But this stove can boil much more vigorously, so it boiled off more liquid. Should I turn the boil down so it boils more gently? Maybe that is the answer to get back to what it was prior.

Latest posts

Back