Boil-off Rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope! Boil rate, humidity, time of year all factor into the boil off amount. Even as something as simple as a coffee pot sitting on the warming plate loses more volume when there is less humidity in the air than when the air is humid.
You can repeat it as often as you want but that won't make it right. Again, you're confusing spontaneous evaporation such as you'd have at the surface of a lake or any large water body with actually boiling water on a stove. Albeit related they're completely different phenomena.

You can repeat it as often as you want but that won't make it right. Again, you're confusing spontaneous evaporation such as you'd have at the surface of a lake or any large water body with actually boiling water on a stove. Albeit related they're completely different phenomena.

By my reckoning, even if it could be argued to add a full (spontaneous) evaporation rate (which is affected by humidity) to the boil off, and thus kludge together a case for the total loss being slightly different with varying humidity, we'd be talking about something on the order of thousandths of a percent of loss over the course of an hour or two boil. IOW, unmeasurable.

So, the boil off rate as a percentage or gallons/hr should be the same whether you are doing a 5, 10 or 15 gallon batch in a 20 gallon kettle? That seems to mean that if I am getting 8% boil off at X% PID power for 15 gallons that I could use X/3% power for 5 gallons or X*2/3 for 10 gallons to be injecting the same amount of energy into the kettle? Does this work in practice?

As a side note, to get into the "optimal" boil off rate range what are people using on their Kal-clone setups with the ULWD curvy 5500W elements to get into that range for various volumes?

I want to try doing some beers in the optimal range and see if I can tell any difference.

Found this at BYO:

https://byo.com/article/boiling-advanced-brewing/
"The amount of evaporation varies with the size and geometry of the kettle, the surface area exposed to the air, the intensity of the heat source and to a lesser extent other variables such as the ambient temperature, humidity, air pressure and any movement of air surrounding the kettle."

This seems to be true in practice, which means you can't just give an exact percentage and say that it is optimal for everyone. Right?

Finally read the Brungard article in Zymurgy about wort boiling. I'm interested to try doing some lower power boils. He of course has a lot of focus on making sure you're not getting DMS in your wort with the low power method. That makes sense. There is a trade-off between damaging the wort with excessive boiling vigor and not getting enough exchange of the wort at the surface with a very weak boil, which could result in off-flavors, such as DMS.

An interesting method he mentions is doing a 30 minute boil at very low power with the lid completely on to convert SMM to DMS and then do a more vigorous 30 minutes to convert more SMM and drive off all of the DMS. Seems like this would be an excellent way to get the benefits of having the wort at hot temps for a longer time without having to provide so much heat to the wort while still getting turbulence in the kettle. Anyway, I think I'll try the 30-30 method for my next beer, probably a NEIPA.

He also talks about using temperatures below boiling with pumping to cause the turbulence and wort exchange at the surface. Does anyone just do a wort recirculation at like 207F for 60 minutes? I could try that as well, using my two HERMS pumps back to back and recirculating through my ports in my kettle.

I wouldn't try the recirculation of boiling wort with our cheap pumps. I fear that prolonged exposure to such high temperatures will certainly shorten their life expectancy.

The thing of boiling half the time with the lid on makes absolutely no sense. With the lid on you're reducing the radiative losses from the surface, with the lid literally acting as a mirror and reflecting the radiative heat back into the wort. This makes the wort boil more vigorously because there is more energy available for the vaporizatin of water, so basically you are boiling with higher available power just like you would do with a higher power setting.

A kettle with a steam condenser is the perfect solution to what Martin suggests. The lid being always on allows you to boil at very low power, and the condenser helps the DMS escape. As a matter of fact, when boiling with a condenser, you can smell the DMS in the effluent of the condenser. With my condenser my boil off rate is just over 5% and no DMS perceived in the finished beer.

Yeah, I think I'll skip trying the recirculation approach.

I understand your point on the 30-30 approach. Of course you would turn down the heat input to a minimum to maintain the wort temp while the lid is on. Is using the trapped heat to maintain the wort temperature for 30 minutes better than just using a higher heat input with an open lid for 60 minutes better? I don't konw.

I wouldn't try the recirculation of boiling wort with our cheap pumps. I fear that prolonged exposure to such high temperatures will certainly shorten their life expectancy.

The thing of boiling half the time with the lid on makes absolutely no sense. With the lid on you're reducing the radiative losses from the surface, with the lid literally acting as a mirror and reflecting the radiative heat back into the wort. This makes the wort boil more vigorously because there is more energy available for the vaporizatin of water, so basically you are boiling with higher available power just like you would do with a higher power setting.

I finally got around to trying a lower PID % for my boil. Used my 20G Concord pot with 5500W element. Set the PID at 59% (I would normally have used maybe 75-80%.) I would normally expect 1.5-1.7 Gal/hr. Today I got 0.85 Gal/hr with 14.7 Gal pre-boil, to give an evaportion rate of around 5.8%. I had the lid off the entire time and the PID stayed at 212F. I think I could go down more on the PID and still maintain 212F. I guess I'll fine-tune it with time. I hope to scale the PID% with the volume (since I do all different sizes of batches) and see if I can get repeatability.

Depends. We always want a nice rolling boil and not some crazy, volcanic activity. Once satisfied, adjust the equipment profile in your favorite brewing software appropriately.

For me, in my situation, 75% boil, works. I realize everyone's setup is different, but 75% works for me.

I believe the net energy available for vaporization will be similar between lid on and lid off. The radiative heat losses “seen” from above the pot will be similar - it’s just the difference between radiative heat loss from water/steam at 212F and radiative heat loss from a pot lid at 212F. In other words, the mass loss of the water (i.e., net boiling rate leaving the pot) will be very similar with lid on or off. Although it is true you will get a more vigorous boil due to “reflective effect” within the pot, much of this steam condenses on the lid (...and maintains the lid at 212F). I’d expect the net boil off rates to be very similar. I’m sure there will be differences in heat losses due to emissivity differences (water vs lid) and/or convection and pot surface temps, but these should be minor.
So to me it does make sense to boil with the lid on to allow a higher degree of agitation. Although you will get a higher boiling rate in the kettle, the excess steam will condense back into the wort.

Back