Boil Off Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VulgarCelt

Reaction score
Ok so I did an AG brew yesterday. While I was chilling the wort I tapped my hydrometer on the counter and broke yet another one.

I missed my sparge temp and had to add extra water to hit it. Which meant I had to boil off a significant amount. I did this without really increasing the boil time but I had a very vigorous boil.

My question is this. I know what my preboil gravity (1052) and volume (8 gal) were. I also know what my post-boil volume (6 gal) was. Is there a way I can extrapolate my FG from that? Or should I just drink this one and called it a botched but yummy experiment?

As a side note this is my third hydrometer. I also broke two thermometers this weekend. Anyone have any suggestions for higher quality glass or instrumentation?

i don't think you can extrapolate your FG...just drink it and enjoy.
As for hydrometer replacement, you could go to a refractometer for pre fermentation measurements and save the hygro for final product.

I think OP meant to say post boil SG (aka OG), not FG. Yes, you can calculate it.

Going from 8 to 6 gallons means you concentrated the batch by 2 gallons or 25%. That means the SG will increase by 25%. So if the measurements you provided are correct, your OG should be 1.065.

Any hydrometer is fragile, higher quality ones will break just the same. In terms of thermometers, a lot of us (myself included) love the splash-proof Thermapen. It's pricey at ~$80 but it's probably the last thermometer you'll buy.

I would recommend investing in a refractometer. They go for around $50-60, but they are fairly durable and extremely easy to use. I personally still keep hydrometers around, but I use only the refractometer 95% of the time.

Keep in mind that you can't "miss" your sparge water temperature. You can sparge with cold water, if you want to.

If you're batch sparging, it's especially unimportant to have a certain temperature for your sparge water.

Many people who do a continous sparge (fly sparge) do have a certain temperature that they would like to bring the grainbed to- but that has to do with denaturing the enzymes and not to have a certain temperature for the sparge water. Even so, many people do not do a mash out and still have great efficiency and great results.

Refractometer. Yes. Get one. My brew day is better with it.
Thermometer. Just bite the bullet and buy the thermapen. After buying several glass ones you'll have paid for it. I love mine.

Back