Boil Off and Flavours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErsteBrau

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers,

I just completed my second brew over the weekend, and while I aced my volumes and gravities during mashing, I had a problem during the boil. My gas burner is not the strongest and during my first brew I had 33 liters pre boil and boiled off 7 liters in the hour. This time however it was a bit windy/cold and it wasn't a very strong boil. I didn't boil off as much, only three litres, so I had to try to juice up my OG with some DME. Just wondering what I could expect in regards to firstly taste with DME - does it change the profile much (I used dark DME for what will be a coffee milk stout), and the bitterness. As I didn't boil off as much will there be less bitterness in the beer? Curious what to expect in regards to the flavours.

As always, thanks for your input!
Doug

I wouldn't expect much/anything. A little DME to adjust OG on a very flavorful beer isn't going to be detectable.

Really depends on how much dark DME you used. If it was only a small amount I think you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference flavor wise.

Latest posts

Back