Boil Kettle Dimensions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan

Reaction score
I'm going to fabricate a boil kettle and I'm trying to decide on the dimensions. I'd like something that can comfortably brew 5gal batches as well as 10 gal batches. Should I go with a 15gal, or would I still be able to do 5gal batches in a 20gal? Also should I go with something keg shaped or something shorter and fatter. Thanks for your input.

When you say fabricate I presume you have sheet steel that you are going to roll and weld.

Considerations.

• Thickness of the steel.
  • Method of heating
  • Boil off rate required (effects boil time)

I have the same question as the OP. I am going to be buying a megapot in the next week or two and I don't know whether to go with a 15 or a 20gallon. I want to be able to do 5 gal batches, but I want to make sure I can do some 10 gallon all grain big beers too. If 20 gallon isn't too big for a 5 gal batch, I think I will go with the bigger one.

I've done a little more research and I've come up with:

• 20 Gal. Capacity
  • 16" Inner Diameter
  • 23" Height
  • 1.2mm Thick Steel

Two questions.

• Will 1.2mm on bottom and sides be sufficient to prevent scorching? Or should I use a thicker steel on the bottom? How thick?
  • I don't foresee any issues - but would a 2gal pot with 16" diameter still be able to handle 5 gallon batches?

It really depends on the burner you use. If you have something, or plan for one, that has a very wide flame area, you'd benefit from flattening the shape to something like 20" diameter for more efficient heating.

Latest posts

Back