Boil after steeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes. Your steeping grains should be removed when you reach about 170 or so (check your recipe), then bring it to a boil and add extract.

I think bringing to a boil just ensures that the extract disolves into the water as you pour it in. I would think at 170, you would be fine just stir well to prevent the extract from scorching on bottom of the pot.

I'm re-learning to brew after a 6 year break, so I have a lot of these little things that I don't re-call.

I remember now that I bring the tea to a boil while I'm warming up the liquid extract. Turn the flame off, poor in the extract while stirring. The extract seems to dissolve better/quicker and I can bring the wort to a boil easier/quicker. No empirical evidence, simply my feel.

We removed the steeping grains from the kettle,& brought the resulting wort to a boil 1st. When it got close to boiling,we got a wild,beercano hot break for about 3 minutes. When that was done,we then added the 1.5-2lbs of plain DME for the rest of the boil.

Back