Bochet, 1400s Recipe from YouTube, Aged Three Years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edless

Reaction score
Drinking this beauty right now. Second thing I ever homebrewed. Smokey, sweet; notes of vanilla and dark fruit. Tastes like a fermented viking longboat. Best thing I've ever tasted in my life, and the most unique.

20141228_203129.jpg

Drinking this beauty right now. Second thing I ever homebrewed. Smokey, sweet; notes of vanilla and dark fruit. Tastes like a fermented viking longboat. Best thing I've ever tasted in my life, and the most unique.

Awesome to hear! I brewed a bochet/braggot several months ago and it still has a quite burnt flavor. I think time is essential in mellowing the flavors of a bochet. I would love to see your recipe if you're willing to share

Awesome to hear! I brewed a bochet/braggot several months ago and it still has a quite burnt flavor. I think time is essential in mellowing the flavors of a bochet. I would love to see your recipe if you're willing to share
Recipe? Lol. I did what this guy did. Just straight honey, boiled and burnt, and ferment. I didn't add any spices and such as some recipes do, I just used a really good local, organic, raw wildflower honey. I think the quality of the honey used is what really makes this. I will say though, when you take honey to this level the yeast needs some serious helping along with nutrient. I neglected that and ferment didn't take off for like a week, hah.

Seeing how this is the "Recipe section" for meads,
it would be appropriate to post well, an actual recipe.
Amount of honey used and type.
Lenght boiled, nutrient additions and when,type of yeast used,ferm temps. Things like that.
Nothing wrong with a "lookie at what i'm drinking now" post but it should be in a different part of the forums.

Seeing how this is the "Recipe section" for meads,
it would be appropriate to post well, an actual recipe.
Amount of honey used and type.
Lenght boiled, nutrient additions and when,type of yeast used,ferm temps. Things like that.
Nothing wrong with a "lookie at what i'm drinking now" post but it should be in a different part of the forums.

I agree

2.5 lbs honey VERY carefully burn (slowly on a medium heat in a 10 quart pot) for 90-150 minutes.
When cooled a bit VERY carefully add hot water. Enough to liquefy the honey.
Add to 1 gallon carboy, fill the rest of the way with water.
When cooled enough pitch yeast, add nutrients.
That is the basic recipe I used. Don't know yet how it will turn out. It's still fermenting. Smells great.
Word of caution, pay attention to all the warnings with this. I did, and had no problems .

I saw the youtube video of the guy making it on an outdoor barbecue. I am going to make some of this (outside) when it gets bit warmer. I do have some Danish blood, but I do not like standing outside freezing.

hello, I'm about to try my luck at doing a Castle Bochet Mead, and I'm wondering how necessary it is to use a yeast nutrient? Also, if it's an absolute must do, can I use raisins or something else, as opposed to a chemical nutrient?

Thanks for the raisin advice. Now, how many do I use? I'm doing a 5 U.S. gallon batch, which contains 18.5 pounds of honey. I'll "cook" it on the BBQ (for safety reasons), add HOT water to it (watching, as it splatters). Thanks for your input. Carey

Latest posts

Back