BMC Packaging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grampamark

Clowns to the left, jokers to the right
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed something of a trend WRT how the popular, cheap, commercial beers are being distributed, at least in this part of the world. Six-packs seem to be a thing of the past, at least as far as grocery/convenience stores are concerned. Twelve, 15 and 18 packs are common, and the traditional case of 24 has largely been replaced by the 30-pack.

Recently, I've seen AB products in 36-packs. What got my attention, though was the pricing. A 36 of Bud or Bud Light is priced at $36 (this is at Albertson's, Wally World, etc.). A 30-pack is usually $22-24, a 12-pack around $14. So, one can buy a 30 and a 12 and have 42 cans of cheap swill for the price of 36.

This seems to be a curious way of marketing a product, but, what do I know. Has anyone else noticed this, or are those of us in the deepest, darkest reaches of flyover country being used as a test market?

Mark

I see a lot of larger items priced higher per unit cost than smaller items at Walmart. I do believe they are taking advantage of the shoppers that can't or don't figure the cost per unit.

Each of the three times 36 packs were sold around here they replaced the 30 packs and sold at the same price.

Buy thirty get six free.

I've noticed that up here in Canada.

6pack ->8pk
12->15
24->25/28/30/32

Back