BM cent blond bad taste!!!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jppostKW

Reaction score
so i did BMs blonde as a first all grain batch last week batch sparged hit 73% efficancy pitched the the notti yeast at 78 degreess had a quick 3 day air lock activity i racked it to secondary yesterday after 7 days in primary took a gravity reading sitting at 1.011 right now which seems about on par but when i tasted the sample OMFG it was horrible :confused: Even my first batch of mr beer was better even with the bad cider taste that i got from the white sugar i primed with. i really cant explain the taste but was kinda bitter but had such an over powering off taste it was completely undrinkable. i didnt do any thing different than i did when i brewed extract with steeping i did full boils before exact same equipment religous sanitization using star san. i am going to go thru with normal secondary and bottling just to see if my notti yeasties will clean up the flavor but i am at a loss as to what happened. my critics aka drinking buddies are eager to taste my first all grain but i dont want to serve them anything thats is sub par. i really just dont know what happened. has anyone else gotten a something on the same level and it turned out ok?

How warm did this ferment? A fast fermentation and pitching at 78 makes me think you have a ton of potential fusel alcohol in there. You need to keep the temperatures in check.

Also, there's really no way that you can discern anything at day 7. Things will change. A lot.

Mine didn't come out great, either- here's why: my water. My water is very high in residual alkalinity and it makes great pale ales and dark beers. My blonde ale was harsh and astringent, and it was because of the water. Now, when I make a lighter beer, I'll use bottled water (or one half RO water and one half tap water). I'm wondering how your water is.

Yah... 78 is a HOT pitch with Notty.

How hot was the ferment?

7 days is not nearly long enough...

Time and temp are your enemies here, I brewed this up last year a couple times and it was stellar at 14 days.

I brewed this as a partial and thought it was terrible when it was green. I actually thought it might have been infected. A week later though it was a whole different beer. Give it some time and see if it changes. I'm gonna try it AG again in a few weeks!

Agreed with the others, and (like usual), Yooper has a good point. Denver water can be fairly alkaline, which can make lighter beers a bit rough. However, it's way to soon to tell. Green beer tells lies. Let it mature, and I bet it comes around.

Incidentally, This is a period ------> .
This is a capital letter ---------> A
;)

Where in Englewood are you? I'm northwest Littleton, but work at Hampden and Santa Fe.

Agreed with the others, and (like usual), Yooper has a good point. Denver water can be fairly alkaline, which can make lighter beers a bit rough. However, it's way to soon to tell. Green beer tells lies. Let it mature, and I bet it comes around.

Incidentally, This is a period ------> .
This is a capital letter ---------> A
;)

Where in Englewood are you? I'm northwest Littleton, but work at Hampden and Santa Fe.

I live off of Parker and Arapahoe work in Commerce City at Colorado Kenworth as a mechanic i know my grammatical skills are lacking... I am more of a engineering guy blame the School of Mines for that one. :D Any way i do think i have moderatly alkaline water lots of white deposits on the sinks. i am by no means going to call this batch a wash. Its just a little unnerving. Oh yeah reason my pitching temp was higher than i would have wanted is because i run a closed system for my wort chiller have a 10 gallon rubbermaid tote i fill with water and ice and i didnt have the usual Colorado snow to cool it down with and ran out of ice.

My water is kind of hard too, but I never did an analysis on it. I[me curious to see how this lighter beer will turn out. Mines just about done fermenting. But I also know better than to judge a beer until several weeks past bottling.

I did ferment at cooler temps, so that should be ok. Only problem might be dipping down at night, but it's been going gangbusters in the afternoon. Next batch will have a temp controlled ferment. Either swamp cooler/heater, or ferm wrap device. There is no place that I can keep a constant temp in my house. (my wife gets mad when I set the thermostat at yeast temp for 4 days!)

I live off of Parker and Arapahoe work in Commerce City at Colorado Kenworth as a mechanic i know my grammatical skills are lacking... I am more of a engineering guy blame the School of Mines for that one. :D Any way i do think i have moderatly alkaline water lots of white deposits on the sinks. i am by no means going to call this batch a wash. Its just a little unnerving. Oh yeah reason my pitching temp was higher than i would have wanted is because i run a closed system for my wort chiller have a 10 gallon rubbermaid tote i fill with water and ice and i didnt have the usual Colorado snow to cool it down with and ran out of ice.

Like every honest felloooow, I drink my whiskey clear...

BS and MS, '93 and '97 here.

Funny thing is, I was up at the campus today. It's E-days. You can always tell, because it's supposed to dump snow tomorrow. Prost!

:off:Always nice to meet a fellow Miner. Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering in t minus 36 credits going to wrench for a while though get the hands on before i try and dip into the engineering aspect. That way i will hopefully be one of the engineers mechanics dont Motherf@#* while working on new technology. FYI the new emissions Caterpillar motors are ridiculously hard to work on, but are really interesting at the same time.

Soft, dechlorinated water and high pitching rates seem to be the keys to making a good BMC-like beer. Filtering helps too, or a long secondary, otherwise all light beers end up tasting like hefes from the suspended yeast.

I use 50/50 RO to get my water to about 70ppm alkalinity, add a little calcium chloride to make up for what I diluted, treat that with Campden, brew away.

I like S-04 yeast, with a high pitching rate esters are low and it floccs well. The goal is to have very little yeast growth in the beer so esters are minimal.

For my cream ale I pitched two packages of dry yeast (double the normal pitching rate) and fermented at 64 in a water bath. Fermented out in 3 days. After two weeks I racked to a secondary and after a week filtered out the yeast and force carbed. Perfect three weeks grain to glass. Next time I will try to do it in two weeks, I only left it in primary for two weeks because I pitched another brew onto the cake.

One more thought, Notty tastes like Satan's Anus before it floccs out. I think it's the worst tasting yeast when the beer is green and there is still lots of it suspended. Blech.

Back