Bluebird Bitter Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajbj76

Reaction score
Hello all,

First post here. I'm a relatively new brewer, and I have a question about a recipe I found online for a Bluebird Bitter clone, which is as follows:

5 gallons

Ingredients:
» 3.25 lbs. Maris Otter pale malt (4.5 for the export)
» .25 lb. 30°L crystal malt
» 2 lbs. extra-light DME
» 12 aau’s Challenger hop pellets
» Dry English Ale yeast (White Labs) or similar
» 1/2 cup corn sugar and 1/4 light brown sugar (for priming)

Crush grains, steep in 3 gallons water at 152 – 155°F for 60 minutes. Remove grains, stir in DME and bring to a boil. Add 8 aau’s Challenger pellets, boil 45 minutes. Add remaining 4 aau’s of hops, boil 15 minutes, remove from heat. Chill, top up to 5 gallons with pre-boiled and chilled water. Pitch yeast at 75- 80°F. Ferment warm, 70° or so, for six to eight days. Rack to secondary, age ten to fourteen days. Prime with corn sugar and brown sugar, bottle and condition two weeks.

OG: 1037 (1045)
IBU’s: 38

When I plug the recipe into the calculator at Brewer's Friend, I get a OG of around 1.024 rater than the anticipated 1.037.

Also, would a Pilsen DME work as a substitute for the extra-light?

Is there an easy way to convert aau's into ounces?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Cheers!

Looking at the recipe more closely, I realize now it's a partial mash rather than just extract & steeped grains. I guess it's time to try our 1st partial mash.

you could easily convert it to all extract with steeping if you wanted. But, if so I would recommend using english malt extract to get some of the bready flavor you get from Maris Otter. If you need help let me know. This is one of my favorite styles of beer.

In terms of your "aau's" basically just fiogure out what the IBU's are for the bluebird and adjust hops to that. English bitters I think are usually in the 25-35 range.

yeast wise I would go with S-04 dry, nottingham dry, or white labs english (i think its 006????)

And, No to the Pilsen malt extract.

Make sure you don't go too high fermentation temp wise. 72 max and that would really be pushing it. It will give more fruity esters at higher temps. I would say shoot more for around 66-68

Also, I wouldn't recommend priming with brown sugar. Doesn't really add that much flavor wise IMO.

Thanks, what would one do to convert the recipe to extract?

The recipe calls for extra-light DME, so I thought the Pilsen DME might do the trick in a pinch? It was the lightest extract the shop I was at had available. Though I was wary about it, as I've never used it before

I've got a couple of ounces of Challenger (probably around 8.5 aau), and the recipe is supposed to come in at 38 IBU.

Like I say, we're pretty new to this, so any help at all is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I can stop on my way home and buy some Pale LME - would that work better than the Pilsen DME?

I hope you have brewed it! You are right in the zone. I have done a few variations on the hunt for the Conniston Bluebird, it's a very fine beer if you ask me. It's subtle. I am a BIAB "hybrid" guy, or put another way, I am a double batch partial mash guy. The bluebird is almost a Marris Otter and Challlenger SMaSH. Your recipe is good IMHO without going full MO, which is challenging given the limited access to MO as an extract. Have at it! I bet you get a great beer. Keep in mind it's subtlety while enjoying it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Yeah, we brewed it up. Fermenting as we speak.

I was going to buy some pale LME to use instead of the Pilsen DME I had on hand, but the homebrew shop near my place was closed because the power had gone out.

By that time, we decided we wanted to brew, so there was no turning back.

Steeped the Maris Otter and Crystal at about 155 for an hour, then gave it a good rinse with some hot water.

Our OG came in too low, 1030 instead of 1037, but I think that we took our sample from the top after topping up, so that might account for that.

It's going to be too light in colour, but hoping it turns out to be a quaffable spring session beer. We shall see.

Keep us posted.

FWIW, my last attempt, which I am drinking right now, is too heavy. I can't recall the gravities, but it's close to 5% and it's just not bluebird.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm drinking some of this now. Anyone else think they use some pilsner malt? It really tastes/smells like they are... but what do I know...

Can anyone tell me how to go about this as an extract not partial , looking to step up from the 2 can brews. Thanks

It's almost a SMaSH really. Maris otter base and challenger hops. I think you would need about a half pound of crystal 60 for five gallons to get closer. I am guessing about 7 lbs of MO extract for five gallons.

I have made it with half MO and half Pilsner extract and liked the result. But I think the MO is really more correct to my taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back