New York Blue Point Brewery broke ground for new digs, but keeping to their craft brew roots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppy2bmerry

My hop trellis brings the boys to the yard.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Please take no offense to this personally, but I cannot get excited about any brewery owned by AB getting an expansion.

Their (meaning the parent company, AB) total disdain and hurtful business practices in regards to true independent brewers is just so bad its untolerable.

AB is one of the prime reasons (along with the distributors they own as well) that NC cannot get its lawmakers to even hold a vote to lift the self distribution cap which is just a shame.

Sorry...

That's okay, no problem at all. I thought this was a bad deal for the brand at first, and who knows what will happen as more time passes. With that said, so far they've hosted big brew day this year and behave like a small brewery, keeping their staff, and hiring others, minus the anti-Union frackass by a large distributer, which caused many to boycott AB products including Bluepoint.

Toasted is in every bar everywhere around here. I don't see any boycott. Its arguably the most popular craft brew on long Island. I'll be going to the new place to check it out for sure. Looks big and most likely will be a cool place. Not hurting the booming Patchogue scene either...I'm all for it. They're old tasting room was lame

Yeah, the boycott was short lived. And the drivers at Clare Rose did end up with a decent contract. It looks like they will make there projected opening. I'll see if I can post a video of their progress.
Toasted is in every bar everywhere around here. I don't see any boycott. Its arguably the most popular craft brew on long Island. I'll be going to the new place to check it out for sure. Looks big and most likely will be a cool place. Not hurting the booming Patchogue scene either...I'm all for it. They're old tasting room was lame

@JohnSand The original is still open, and they still give some free samples, which certainly helps with their popularity. Sometimes it's hard to find parking, even shortly after opening. I can recall a few times in the recent past that hubby and I just headed over to 1940's rather than fight the crowd. The new location is going to have much, much more space.

“Hey someone with tons of cash, and strict quality control wants to buy my brewery”.

“You better not man, quality will suffer. They’ve been making the exact same beers taste the exact same way regardless of ingredient availability”.

“Good call man! I’ve got to stay independent and not take on a once in a lifetime opportunity.”

If this sounds stupid to you; you must not be a business owner.

“Hey someone with tons of cash, and strict quality control wants to buy my brewery”.

“You better not man, quality will suffer. They’ve been making the exact same beers taste the exact same way regardless of ingredient availability”.

“Good call man! I’ve got to stay independent and not take on a once in a lifetime opportunity.”

LOL Merry. I have to admit that sometimes I have trouble doing anything more than writing a reply.
If Swamp was saying that it makes sense for a businessman to sell his successful cottage industry in exchange for retiring wealthy, I agree.

Of course, a person should reap the fruits of their labor and accept a great deal in the sale of their successful business. I'm not the home brewer/craft beer fan calling them "sell outs" but you know many craft beer drinkers have called Bluepoint and other breweries just that. I did state that I thought there was potential for change in ingredients and management as I recall what happened with Ben and Jerry's. Its beginnings were "wholesome" but once the transition to Unilever was complete wholesome no longer applies and Ben and Jerry have retired.

In the village of Patchogue there are people not overly happy with yet another alcohol seller on Main St, but the homeowners nearby on River certainly are happy about the move as the brewery has expanded tasting room hours and has hosted a few large events each year increasing traffic, noise and occasional bad behavior in some.
:mug:

I wouldn't say the new brewery will have any negative effect on the downtown area or effect the village residents in a negative way as far as a rowdy crowd goes. Or anything else including added traffic. That small city apartments they build would be more of a problem in every way than a brewery. Hell, they have alive at five that's nothing but a drink fest every other week voted on and approved by the village and residents...a brewery pales in comparison

I wouldn't say it's a negative move either, just some residents are concerned. This will be one place on main with ample parking at least!

Funny how that goes. Years ago, Port Jefferson was fast asleep and Patchogue was in a coma. Both towns turned to tourism. PJ is thriving, Patchogue is recovering and booming.
Now people complain about traffic. I don't blame them, I like living on a quiet street. But if I had a choice between boarded storefronts and traffic, I pick traffic every time.

Love visiting the old blue brewery, going to be tough without the sticky floors! Looking forward to their future experimentation and development of beers. I’m typically there once a month visiting my in laws and the vibe from the original brewery is going to be tough to replicate. Hopefully The crew will be able to scale up the same feelings!
Patchogue has changed so much over the last 5 years. I credit the tap room, bobbiques and hoptron for really bringing the beer scene up in the area. Can’t forget brick house for staying alive through it all. It’s a good scene as long as you get out early....

I'm not a fan of Port Jeff. It was the place to be in the late 80's but it has a washed up old town vibe to me now. Every place is far away from each other not to mention walking up a hill. I take my bike to Taras for some cheap food every once in a while but that's about it. Not to mention theres always the chance of a check point near the tracks which is no fun at all. I live the same distance from PJ and Patchogue and choose Patchogue every time..Everything is next to each other and its fun to hop around. Just seems to have more of an upbeat vibe.....I'm sure I could be alone in my feelings

Ah yes, the sobriety checkpoint by 7 11, and the men and women in blue keeping us safe. Hubby and I were heading home from a high school reunion at Danfords about a decade ago and had to go through. The officer was polite, hubby wasn't rousing any suspicion... Have you been drinking? Yes, yes I have had a couple with dinner. Follow the pencil with your eyes... Okay, get home safe. Not any places that I'm aware of that the could do that in Patchogue, but I'd bet there would be some arrests made if they could.

Another brewery is set to open in Patchogue aptly named the patchogue brewery... Not sure when that will be, or how close they are.

Selling your brewery for more opportunity and cash is not the issue with craft brewers at all..it makes financial and logical sense in most cases.

The issue is the business practices of this buyer in particular (being AB). AB does everything it can to stifle/stamp out and destroy the independent side of the beer industry that it chooses not to buy including some very underhanded (and well paid off) business practices.

When you sell your dream like this to a buyer who has this kind of behavior, you are in turn selling yourself to someone who is hurting the ones (other local craft breweries as in my area, these folks help each other a great deal) who most likely helped you build the business to where it was before you sold it. You are no longer part of any solution, just part of a much larger problem whether you want to believe it or not once money changes hands.

That's the main issue with AB in particular. Wicked Weed found this out recently as well. The backlash from that transaction is still a big deal here in NC and I know their sales have taken a hit here locally due to it.

That's the main issue with AB in particular. Wicked Weed found this out recently as well. The backlash from that transaction is still a big deal here in NC and I know their sales have taken a hit here locally due to it.
Backlash??? Like not buying there beer anymore because they were bought out by AB?

If so...that's nauseating.
We loved your beer and now we don't.
Its called business and it happens everyday in every field everywhere on the planet.
Sounds like the same people that would spit on a Vietnam Vet

Yeah I was bummed, said I would boycott. Then I talked to the employees, kept drinking the beers and got over it. Yes they are no longer independent but they are pumping money into the community

Backlash??? Like not buying there beer anymore because they were bought out by AB?

If so...that's nauseating.
We loved your beer and now we don't.
Its called business and it happens everyday in every field everywhere on the planet.
Sounds like the same people that would spit on a Vietnam Vet

Backlash in the terms of losing over a dozen participants from fellow independent brewers that relied on them to support the craft beer movement which in turn = revenue/reputation loss.
http://goodbeerhunting.com/sightlin...katorium-invitational-following-ab-inbev-sale

The beer itself it not what I have issue with here as I am sure its just as good as it once was. Its where the money is going at the end of the day that bothers those that hold this stance on anti-InBev.
You want to keep buying their beer, good for you. Me, no thanks.

P.S. I served my country in the USN and have 2 sons in the USMC and 2 uncles that served in Vietnam in the USMC..Save that last comment for someone and somewhere else.

Backlash in the terms of losing over a dozen participants from fellow independent brewers that relied on them to support the craft beer movement which in turn = revenue/reputation loss.
http://goodbeerhunting.com/sightlin...katorium-invitational-following-ab-inbev-sale

The beer itself it not what I have issue with here as I am sure its just as good as it once was. Its where the money is going at the end of the day that bothers those that hold this stance on anti-InBev.
You want to keep buying their beer, good for you. Me, no thanks.

P.S. I served my country in the USN and have 2 sons in the USMC and 2 uncles that served in Vietnam in the USMC..Save that last comment for someone and somewhere else.
That last sentence would be on your side as someone who served but I will admit it was a tad out of line in the context of this thread...thanks for your service.
I take the opposite view on Inbev. I look at it from the little guys point of view. A brewer works his ass off and gets bought out for millions and enjoys the rest of his/her life in comfort and security spending quality time with the family instead of working 60 hours a week. I have a small business. If somebody offered me millions for it I'd be out the door in 2 seconds flat. Inbev isn't putting a gun to anybodys head. The blame goes to the company that sold. They didn't have to. Much like the housing collapse. Its not just the banks. If someone working at McDonalds is dumb enough to by a million dollar house because someone else said they could and then they loose the house its not " corporate Americas" fault and I hate the banks, "the man". They didn't have to buy the house and the smaller brewery didn't have to sell to Inbev

QUOTE]
Reading the link it looks like The participants willingly didn't go the festival on principal when they were asked to go...not sure how that's Inbevs fault. If there worried about revenue there cutting there nose to spite there face...in not Inbevs fault they choose not go to create revenue and reputation...there sticking a nail in their own foot. And that's on them to self destruct there own business..it's their choice not Inbevs

Still AB Ibev. I’ll order something else!
The irony of it is all the brewerys that boycott the festival in the link would sell there companys for 20 million in a second if offered by Inbev and laugh all the way to the bank. They'd also leave the Inbev haters in the dust..in their brand new Maserati.....hypocrisy at its best.

Back