Blue moon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew4allMI

Reaction score
Hey everyone I devised a recipe for a beer somewhat similar to blue moon.. I am looking for some thoughts/ideas on this recipe.

Ferments:
3 lb pilsner dme
3lb 2 row
1 lb dry wheat extract
1 lb flaked wheat

STEEP grains FOR 20 min at 160

Hops:
US saaz. 4.0AA 1 oz full 60 min boil
Hallertau 3.5 AA .5oz. 40 min boil

Misc

1oz sweet orange peel 5 min boil
1 oz crunched coriander 5min boil

Yeast
Wyeast Belgian witbier (3944)

Primary Ferment for 10-14

Bottle

A couple things, there's an episode of basic brewing radio where they discuss Blue Moon with the head brewer from Sandlot Brewery. That might be worth a listen, http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=basic-brewing-radio-2007. It's the one from August 9th, 2007.

The ratio of wheat to the other base grains seems a little off, although I could be wrong. Some wheat extracts, like Briess, are a 60-40 ratio of wheat and barley. So, if you're mixing already mixed wheat extract with other base grains, you might not get the wheat flavor, or color, you're looking for.

Also, I don't think you can really steep 2-row. You'll just get starchy water from what I hear. What you really need to do is a partial mash, it's very similar to steeping, so don't let the word mash intimidate you. Basically, just "steep" the 2-row and wheat at about 150-155F with 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain for 30-60 minutes and you'll utilize the ezymes in the 2-row and convert the starch to sugar, thus a mash. Note that this will increase your OG, so you'll have to account for that. This forum can assist with the calculation is you need assistance.

Latest posts

Back