Blue Moon Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what page has the most accurate all grain recipe?

Is there a good extract recipe that anyone has made to be comparable?

What is the consensus on yeast choice for this?

I brewed this based upon Wayne's original guidelines. Keg is primed and just waiting for one to kick so I can put it on tap. It's very good, even warm, and I'm excited about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

For what its worth, I've brewed this maybe five or six times. Sometimes the original Wayne recipe, sometimes with modifications. All in all, not my favorite (more of a hoppy ale/IPA guy), but definitely a BMC favorite for those not used to craft beer but wanting to try something "different". I just recently had a party for my child and served a variety of craft beer, including two variations on the blue moon theme:
1. Blue Moon's old-country cousin:
Basic blue-moon recipe but use t-58 yeast. Results: Same look, but with a more spicy, estery taste. I started this at a normal fermentation temperature (e.g. 64-65 degrees), and after fermentation started slowing down I started to ramp it up until it was in the low 70's.

2. Citrus Wheat:
Same recipe, except added 1/2 ounce Citra @ 5 minutes and 1/2 ounce at flame out. Well received, especially from those who haven't had much "craft" beer other than Corona. :)

Latest brew

1401154843673.jpg

Taking a couple growlers to my sister's rehearsal dinner tonight. Just had a sample. Very happy with it.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401483017.925352.jpg

Damn, looks nice. Was it one of the 12 recipes from previous posts? The carbonation looks fantastic, force or bottle carb'd?

Recipe#12 with S05 yeast. Forced in keg.
This was the 18th time I brew a blue moon :)

Thanks. I just did one of the original recipes from way back when. Its liked but not very close to BM. I seen the 12 recipies count and I think #8 was the most made which is what I was going to try next, but I will consider #12 now.

Thanks again

My first batch is just about gone. Brought 3 gallons to the family party. A big hit for the cookout and down by the lake. Going to be brewing again real soon.

Looking for an extract recipe.

After looking at all recipes, what do you think of this? Less steeping wheat? Less of something more of another?

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: Witbier
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.079
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 4.76%
IBU (tinseth): 10.38
SRM (morey): 3.98

FERMENTABLES:
4 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Extra Light (44.4%)
3 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Wheat (33.3%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
2 lb - Flaked Wheat (22.2%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Domestic Hallertau, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.9, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 10.38

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
3 oz - Sweet Orange Peel, Time: 10 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Coriander, Time: 10 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
2 tbsp - Corn Starch, Time: 15 min, Type: Other, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 72%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 59 - 75 F
Fermentation Temp: 65 F

Generated by Brewer's Friend - http://www.brewersfriend.com/

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/138672/blue-moon-clone

Thanks!

I would just remove the wheat, not sure what you want to accomplish with it. Perhaps replace it with flaked oats. Other than that, should be ok.

Looking for an extract recipe.

After looking at all recipes, what do you think of this? Less steeping wheat? Less of something more of another?

Boil Gravity: 1.079

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 4.76%
IBU (tinseth): 10.38
SRM (morey): 3.98

FERMENTABLES:
4 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Extra Light (44.4%)
3 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Wheat (33.3%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
2 lb - Flaked Wheat (22.2%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Domestic Hallertau, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.9, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 10.38

OTHER INGREDIENTS:

YEAST:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/138672/blue-moon-clone

Thanks!

Not sure what your target wheat and pale percentages are, but one thing to be aware of is that most wheat extracts are actually 35% to 40% pale malt, meaning your wheat % may not be as high as you've intended.

Nilo- thanks for the tip. One LB oats then? Just for body and mouth feel. I based it off your #12 and trying to do an extract version that's close to it.

I tried Nilos #12 but dropped the orange peel to 1.5 oz... That was a mistake. Definitely needs more orange taste. The color and carbonation is great but the mouth feel is way light. More like a Budweiser mouth feel. Any ideas why? Maybe use oats in the boil instead?

I tried Nilos #12 but dropped the orange peel to 1.5 oz... That was a mistake. Definitely needs more orange taste. The color and carbonation is great but the mouth feel is way light. More like a Budweiser mouth feel. Any ideas why? Maybe use oats in the boil instead?

What yeast did you use and what was your FG? I find very hard to brew something with the thickness of the commercial beer. I'm also looking for good ideas :drunk:

What yeast did you use and what was your FG? I find very hard to brew something with the thickness of the commercial beer. I'm also looking for good ideas :drunk:

I hit my numbers almost perfect. My OG was 1.054 and FG was right at 1.016 and I used S04 like the recipe called for. Fermented at 66 for about 3 or 4 weeks. My son was born right at the end of the primary so it sat a little longer than I wanted it too. If I add about an ounce of orange juice to the glass and pour the beer on top it's almost spot on! It just needs to be thicker I think. I'm thinking about adding 1/2 a can of orange juice concentrate to the boil at 5 minutes or less and see if that does anything the next time I brew it. Other than that it's still a very drinkable beer. Nice flavor.

New updated recipe:
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Blue Moon Clone

Boil Gravity: 1.073

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.047
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 4.41%
IBU (tinseth): 10.93
SRM (morey): 4.47

FERMENTABLES:
4 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light (50%)
3 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Wheat (37.5%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
1 lb - Flaked Oats (12.5%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Domestic Hallertau, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.9, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 10.93

OTHER INGREDIENTS:

YEAST:

SRM is a touch higher, but that's fine. My brew store only had light LME not extra light. Tomorrow should be a brew day and lets see how it goes!

I brewed the very original one, and it was dead on Blue Moon (taste, color, mouthfeel, head, etc). Go basic first and see what you get before trying a complex one. Just my.02

That's cool man. I'm in agreement with that philosophy as well. I usually don't drink what's and will be brewing it for others. I'll brew the original and see what they say. Thanks man.

Just finished brewing this up. I did the original recipe (Wayne's) but used Tettnang hops instead because that's the only noble hops I had. Like others have suggested, I wanted to start out with the original and then go from there.

I'll let you know how it ends up.

Just finished brewing this up. I did the original recipe (Wayne's) but used Tettnang hops instead because that's the only noble hops I had. Like others have suggested, I wanted to start out with the original and then go from there.

I'll let you know how it ends up.

I did the original recipe as it was listed (by request). It turned out good but not like the commercial version. I am going to do the #12 recipe next week and see how that goes. I am glad I did the original recipe so I can tell how the variations change the final product as well as trying to quantify the changes as well. Since this is one of the favorites from my friend that requested, I can see making this quite a bit and honing it to their tastes.

Stupid question time.

I saw someone say use 2.5oz of ground coriander and 0.8oz of sweet orange peel.

Is that by weight or volume?

My first attempt:
bdS6ldNl.jpg

0UBrQNGl.jpg

lC3c38jl.jpg

Notes: Mouthfeel is really close to Blue Moon. Color very close. Thanks to the oats, this is very hazy, exactly like I was hoping. Blue moon slightly more orange. Blue Moon has slightly stronger and sweeter orange flavor and slightly more bitterness. Coriander is just a tinge more present in the clone. Overall, the mouthfeel and look is right but the spicing needs minor fine-tuning.

Next time I'll dial down the coriander maybe 25% and use maybe 50% more orange peel. i'll switch to valencia if i can find it. but blood orange works pretty well.

Actual OG: 1.048
Actual FG: 1.017

Recipe:
5.5# American 2-Row
0.5# Aromatic
4# American White Wheat
1.5# Flaked Oats
0.5# Rice Hulls

Add 5mL lactic to water before heating
Strike 4.5 gallons @ 172
Mash @ 158
Batch sparge with 4 gallons, treated w 1.5mL lactic

Hops
0.4oz cascade @ 60 mins

Spices
0.6 oz coriandor at flameout, steep 5 mins then add
1 oz dried blood orange peel, steep for 5 mins
cool to 170, hold for 10 mins
then cool

safale us 05

OG: 1.054
FG: 1.018
11 ibu

Ferment at 65F

Stupid question time.

I saw someone say use 2.5oz of ground coriander and 0.8oz of sweet orange peel.

Is that by weight or volume?

It's the other way around... 3oz orange peel and .5 oz of coriander.

All are measured in weight on a scale.

My LHBS weighs them for me and is WAY cheaper for the spices.

I'm confused. I'm about to brew my 3rd batch. Last year I used 4.5 tsp coriander seeds (whole and coarse crushed) for a 20 gallon batch. That's like .3 oz. I see where some of you are using 1-1.25 oz per 5 gallons. That's 4-5 oz for 20 gallons. A McCormick jar is .87 oz. That's almost 6 jars of the stuff and about $25! Seems like an excessive amount. What am I not seeing here???

I'm confused. I'm about to brew my 3rd batch. Last year I used 4.5 tsp coriander seeds (whole and coarse crushed) for a 20 gallon batch. That's like .3 oz. I see where some of you are using 1-1.25 oz per 5 gallons. That's 4-5 oz for 20 gallons. A McCormick jar is .87 oz. That's almost 6 jars of the stuff and about $25! Seems like an excessive amount. What am I not seeing here???

Nilos' #12 calls for .5 oz of coriander and 3oz of orange peels for 5 gallon batches. Like mentioned above, I get my coriander from my LHBS for .25 an oz. McCormick is a rip off. And for 20 gallons you should only need between 1.5 and 2oz of coriander.

I think your reading the recipes wrong. Most are calling for 1.5-3oz of orange peel but not the coriander. I think the spice amounts in #12 are good for 5 gallons.

Here's some measurements of orange peels (Frontier organic from Amazon, 16oz for $15) and whole coriander seeds ( Marshalls Creek Spices from Amazon, 5oz for $8).
3oz orange peels ~ 0.70cup
0.5oz coriander ~ 3 Table spoons ~ 1/5cup
[Correcting] For a 20gal batch, this would translate into about $12 worth of orange peels and $2 of coriander. Hope this helps.

20140621_103333-resized-800.jpg

20140621_103422-resized-800.jpg

I found both whole coriander and dried ground orange peel at the Bulk Barn (Canada). I bought about the same amount as what Nilo shows above, all for about $6. The only thing is that I don't know what type of orange peel it is, but I'm not too concerned about that...

OK guys, thanks. Guess I haven't been putting much spice into my recipe. Still seems like quite a bit. Maybe I'll bump it up a bit and see how it turns out. Just can't see putting in 12oz orange peel and 2oz coriander in a 20 gallon batch. I thought my last 2 batches tasted pretty good and I used a fraction of that...

OK guys, thanks. Guess I haven't been putting much spice into my recipe. Still seems like quite a bit. Maybe I'll bump it up a bit and see how it turns out. Just can't see putting in 12oz orange peel and 2oz coriander in a 20 gallon batch. I thought my last 2 batches tasted pretty good and I used a fraction of that...

That's what makes homebrewing so much fun... You can adjust anything anyway you want to meet your taste.

I found both whole coriander and dried ground orange peel at the Bulk Barn (Canada). I bought about the same amount as what Nilo shows above, all for about $6. The only thing is that I don't know what type of orange peel it is, but I'm not too concerned about that...

It's a bitter orange peel. A thicker rind than the sweet. Still turned out ok

I think Nilo is right on or very close with the orange amount. Blue Moon as it is made today is extremely, over-the-top orangey. Add a fresh orange and you come very close to having a glass of orange juice.

To make an accurate clone today you need corn syrup and who knows what other chemicals.

Please state your source for such bold statements.

Blue Moon has NEVER been made with anything from corn. It still is not.

To the best of MY knowledge corn syrup is not used in brewing in Golden. Corn STARCH is used in Keystone and Keystone Light.

Latest posts

Back